Former Colonia students are recognized for their sport achievements

Photo Credit: The Declaration Staff
During half time of the Colonia vs. JFK football game, newly inducted members of the 2015 WTAAA were escorted on to the field and recognized for their achievements in sports.

On September 17, 2015 at Woodbridge Community Center 31 athletes and a softball team were inducted into the Woodbridge Township Athletic Alumni Association (WTAAA) Hall of Fame.

After a 15 year break, the committee decided to bring the Hall of Fame back.  Mrs. Ann Cyrana, gym teacher and softball coach at Colonia High School, is on this committee as a secretary. Inductees in 2000 include Mr. Jeff Grose, English teacher at Colonia, and Mr. Robert Acquisto, gym and health teacher also at Colonia. The 1968-1969 Colonia Boys’ Basketball team was also inducted into the Hall in 2000.

Past students, athletes, and coaches from Woodbridge, John F. Kennedy Memorial, and Colonia High School were nominated.

This year’s nominees include Mr. Kenneth Pace Sr., current Principal of CHS, and Mr. Tom Chmiel, former Coach of the CHS Girls’ Basketball team. Pace accepted his award and appreciated being able to see his former players who helped him achieve the award.

Colonia High School students throughout the past years were invited to attend and receive awards for their sport achievements. Twana Allen and Dr. Martine Gubernat were nominated for track and field. Gary Battle and William A. Payne were nominated for basketball. Mike Helman was nominated for baseball. Judy Martino, Tina Sabunas, and Karen Youngman were all nominated for softball. Michael Payne was nominated for both football and basketball.

Hometown rivals, WHS’s 1978 softball team was also being inducted.  In 1978, this team was the Group 1V State Champions.

To be inducted into the WTAAA Hall of Fame, first the individual must be nominated.  After being nominated the committee takes a look at his/her stats and accomplishments in high school, college, or professional athletic careers.  They also take a look at any coaching career the nominee in which they may have been a part.  After looking into the nominee’s accomplishments, the committee votes on what nominees will be inducted.

Congratulations to the 2015 class of inductees to the WTAAA Hall of Fame.