CHS Winter Concert/Arts Festival is Wintertastic

Photo Credit: Amanda Rivera
CHS’ concert choir performing

Colonia High School presented their annual Winter Concert/ Arts Festival Thursday December 10, 2015 at 6:30 PM in the auditorium.

This festival consisted of many talented students in our school. It consisted of Colonia High’s concert choir, jazz band, women’s choir, wind ensemble, mixed chorus, acapatriots, and harmony in motion.

Colonia High School's Winter Concert; Jazz band performing
Photo Credit: Amanda Rivera
Colonia High School’s Winter Concert; Jazz band performing

Beginning the festival you are greeted by the amazing art pieces, beautifully designed by the students at Colonia High School. As the concert began the concert choir began singing, What Child Is This by arr. North, and the senior soloists; Alyssa Torio, Erin Byrne, Amy Gfoehrer, and Devon Savage all sang beautifully. Next, was Homeward Bound by Keen, arr. Althouse, and the soloist Julia Paradizova performed wonderfully. Last from the concert choir was Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing by Johnson, arr. Pote.  Next came CHS’ amazingly talented jazz band. They performed Welcome to the Jungle by Arr. Paul Murtha, Isn’t She Lovely by Stevie Wonder Arr. by Mike Tomaro, Tenor Madness by Sonny Rollins Arr. by Mark Taylor, and Birdland by Joseph Zawinul Arr. Larry Kerchner. The jazz band, as confident as ever, impressed everyone with their amazing harmony by the trumpets, saxophones, drums, guitars, and many more.

When asked what inspires the band to continuously do better than the last Mr. Kevin Perdoni, the band director said, “Commitment  to a common goal. To push ourselves more than we though we could…”

Next to perform was the women’s choir who sung One Candle Lights the Way by Albrecht and Althouse. They also performed Mister Santa, a holiday classic by Ballard, arr. Applebaum.

Following, was the beautiful wing ensemble. They performed Midnight Sleighride by arr. Tom Wallace, the famous Winter Wonderland by Arr. Paul Lavander, and Songs of Israel by Anne McGinty.

Winter Concert and Art Show
Winter Concert and Art Show

After intermission, CHS’ own concert band performed. The first song they opened up to was Christmas Spectacular by Arr. Steve Barnett. They also included songs like Carol of the Bells by Arr. Sean O’Loughlin, Chanukah Festival Overture by Richard Wernick, and Christmas Music for Winds by John Cacavas. The acapatriots came up next and sang White Winter Hymnal by Pentatonix. Last but not least the concert ended with harmony in motion, performing Shut up and Dance by arr. Beck, and we cant forget the soloists who performed; Devon Savage, Brandon Campa, and Dervens Celestin, and choreographed by Jessica Marley.

Overall, everyone could agree that the band played wonderfully and the chores sang their hearts out this year. The flutes, violins clarinets, tenor saxophones, baritone saxophones, trumpets, trombones,tubas, bass, and percussion made our Winter Concert and Art show a very enjoyable experience. All of the students and administration that were able to be apart of such a wonderful show. The art pieces in the lobby were beautifully made as well. The beautiful and handsome ladies and gentlemen put together a show for people to enjoy of all ages. Can’t wait to see what they will preform next year!