What happened in 2013 at Colonia High

Photo Credit: Danielle Simkovich
After the storm, Colonia High School digs itself out so classes can resume.

2013 is coming to a close, and this was a memorable year. Especially in Colonia High School. From the class of 2013 saying their final farewells, to the class of 2017 making their entrance noticeable. Many things happened between January 2012 to now.

After the 1st semester ended, both Vice Principals- Mr. Short and Ms. Fitzgerald announced that they would be accepting administrative positions at other schools. With both Vice Principals departing, other staff members were required to step up and fulfill these voids.  Over the summer, Mrs. Murphy, previously the English Department Head, and Mr. Panko, previously of Central Administration for Woodbridge Township, were appointed to the two open Vice Principal positions at CHS.

The winter sports season had its up’s and down’s. The Boys’ and Girls’ Basketball teams both made the playoffs, in the conference and state bracket. The wrestling team added another member to the 75 win club. Pete Melendez, who graduated in the June of 2013, obtained his 77th win in the state playoffs. He is the 5th person in school history to achieve this accomplishment of having over 75 individual wins.

In the spring, the Baseball and Softball team both made the playoffs in the conference and state bracket. The Golf team was runner up in the GMC, losing in the finals. The girls track team did exceptionally well, making the state playoffs.

With the spring season drawing to a close, CHS prepared to graduate another class, just like they do every year. With the class of 2013 graduating, the class of 2014 would soon follow into their footsteps, and a new class will be brought in.

Not a lot of school affiliated activities happen during the summer, but the football head coach, Mr. Ben LaSala was promoted to the position of the school’s Athletic Director. With an opening at the head coach spot, one of the football assistant coaches, Tom Roarty was promoted to head coach. He also joined the CHS staff as a gym teacher.

September of 2013 started off with a number of changes: two new Vice Principals, new ID cards, and stricter rules. ID cards were implemented to scan in and out of the bathroom and school if you leave early or come to school late. Scanning in and out tracks where the student has gone that day. For safety reasons, the school needs to know where a student might be during an emergency.

The fall sports season just ended, some sports in heartbreak, some in happiness. The football team under a new coach finished with a 6-4 record. Raul Cardona, Samuel Pero, Oluwateniolafunmit (Tenny) Adewusi were selected as Players of the Year on MaxPreps.com. Girls’ Soccer finished their season 12-14 -1. Girls’ Volleyball struggled a little this year with a 14 -10 overall record. Boys’ Soccer concluded their 2013 season with an overall record of 9-8-2.

With 2013 coming to a close, students await the changes of a new year. This school changes every year– from the staff, to the rules, this school never stays the same.