Colonia’s Varsity Boys Basketball team improves record to 8-3

In the game against Sayreville, Colonias senior Chase Barneys goes in for a tough lay up.
Photo Credit: The Declaration Staff
In the game against Sayreville, Colonia’s senior Chase Barneys goes in for a tough lay up.

On Thursday, January 21, 2016, at 7:00 p.m Colonia High School Boys’ Varsity Basketball Team beat Sayreville High School 63-50.

On a chilly afternoon Colonia’s met up with Sayreville High School in a tough match up against two good teams. Colonia’s record before this tough game was 7 in 3. Sayreville’s record was 8 in 2. There records were very similar.

As the game started Colonia got off to a slow start. Colonia couldn’t get any shots to go in. They were stuck in a scoring drought. While Colonia was in this drought Sayreville was connecting passes and scoring. Sayreville started a 6-0 run and Colonia had to take a time out. As they resumed play Colonia started to play better. They started connecting passes and didn’t turn over the ball that much. Colonia ended the quarter in a 10 and 2 run. The score after the quarter was 10-8.

As the second quarter began Colonia’s pace from the other quarter continued. The continually passed the ball and bring it up court. They made many easy field goals and kept racking up the points. Colonia’s Chase Barneys was going hard in the paint and was connecting good shots in the paint. Also he grabbed many fouls resulting in easy free throws for him. Colonia’s defense was on lock too. They were restricting Sayreville to take hard shots. Colonia outscored Sayreville 14 to 8. The score at half time was 24-16 Colonia with the lead. The only downside for Colonia this quarter was that to foul a few times making Sayreville get easy points.

As the 3rd quarter started Colonia was still attacking strong on the offense side. Colonia was taking every shot possible and making them. They were sharing the ball and were making great plays for some easy points. Their defense again was on lock and restricted Sayreville once again to 8 points. On Colonia’s side they scored 22 points.  The score at the end of the quarter was 46-24. Colonia was doing everything right and had a good shot at winning this game.

As the final quarter came around Colonia looked a little laid back because of their massive lead. They were a little rough around passing and shooting and benched their main players and brought out the bench. Sayreville saw this as an opportunity and started racking up points. They were connecting passes up court and turnovers were very minimum. In the last quarter Sayreville racked up 26 points. That was more then there 3 previous quarters with only 24 points. But Colonia’s bench didn’t back down and they also scored 17 points in the last quarter. The final score for the game was 63-50.

This game made Colonia’s record to 8-3 and Sayreville to 8-3 as well. In this game Colonia’s Seniors Chase Barneys and Kobe Chapman had 21 point a piece. Kobe’s brother Kristian Chapman who is a sophomore had 8 points too.  Colonia’s next varsity game is on Thursday, January 27th against  JP Stevens.