The Patriots Win Last Home Meet

The+Swimming+Patriots+huddle+up%3B+before+their+meet+against+the+Red+Barrons.+
Photo Credit: Dyana Gomez
The Swimming Patriots huddle up; before their meet against the Red Barrons.

On Wednesday, January 27th, the Colonia Swimming Patriots competed against the Woodbridge Red Barron’s at the Woodbridge Community Center. The Patriots ended their last home meet of their season victorious.

The Swimming Patriots’ last home meet of the season was to honor Senior team members. They swam a lap against each other. This is a new tradition Coach DeGraw would like to continue. Their last meet will be away against Eastside High School, on Tuesday, February 2nd.

The meet started with the 200 Medley relay, students in groups of 4, each do two laps of one stroke. Colonia took 1st and 5th place and Woodbridge took 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Colonia’s lane 5 competitors were disqualified.

Next up was the 200 Freestyle, 8 laps.  Stephanie Kontra (Junior), Adrian Hernandez (Freshman), and Archna Mahendru (Freshman) swam in this event for Colonia. Hernandez placed 1st, Kontra 2nd, and Mahendru 3rd.

Colonia took first in the next four events: 200 IM, 2 laps of each stroke, 50 Freestyle, 2 laps, the 100 Butterfly, 4 laps of Butterfly, and the 100 Free, 4 laps.

Some of the swimmer warms up before the meet. The second to last meet of the 2015-2016 season, which was home for the Patriots.
Photo Credit: Dyana Gomez
The Patriot swimmer warms up before the last home game of their season.

After the 100 Free was the 500 Free; which is 20 laps. Charlie Monzo, Sophomore, finished in just under 7 minutes, taking first. George Wenson, Woodbridge swimmer, finished 2nd roughly 11 seconds after. 3rd place was also a Woodbridge swimmer, coming in at 8:03.22. Sean Ragan (Freshman), finished 4th and Christopher Telofski (Junior), came in 6th.

Colonia placed 1st and 3rd in every event after that. 200 Free relay, 100 Backstroke, 100 Breaststroke, and 400 Free relay.

Stephanie Kontra, butterfly swimmer and Junior at Colonia High School attributes the 2015-2016 season’s success to the team saying, “ the team constantly works hard and winning any meet just praises that hard work.”

Four swimmers achieved new personal bests, Sean Ragan in the 500 Free (8:20.79). Adriana Daniel, Junior, in the 100 Back (1:30.21). Alim Memon and Devin Moran, Juniors also achieved new personal bests in the 50 free. Memon came in at 1:29.40 and Moran came in at 28.85.

The Patriots ended the meet with a score of 116 and the Barons with 54. So far they have won 8 meets and lost 2, so all and all it’s been a great season for them. Losses were against Somerville and Metuchen High School, both teams are split according to gender.

This Friday and Saturday will be the Greater Middlesex Championships (GMC). GMC’s for the boys will be on Friday, January 29th, for those who would like to attend they will be at 5:00 at the Perth Amboy YMCA. As for the girls they will be competing on Saturday, January 30th, at 9am. So good luck to all competitors!