Softball Season Is Officially Over

The Colonia High School varsity softball Patriots get ready for a season to remember.
Photo Credit: Colonia High School Softball Twitter

The Colonia Softball Patriots fell to the Middletown South Eagles 0-4 in the GMC tournament ending their season with a record of 8-16 overall. The Patriots finish 7th in the league with a record of 6-10 sending Patricia Daneke, Hannah Doyle, Taylor Godfrey, Cat Mantagas, Gaby Perez, Alexandra Williams, and Juli Wright off to the end of their final season as seniors.

After a year of hard work to prove what Colonia is all about, the girls proudly walk off in their final season of 2016 and have their eyes set for the future. For some, they look back to this season as their first ever, and for other as their last. Most importantly the 2017 softball patriots are all hoping to prove once again their inferiority. From winter workouts to conditioning, and from scrimmages to tournaments. The patriots have yet proven the perseverance and dedication of a Colonia Patriot. Starting out with an incredible win against Metuchen, 6-1. After many fallouts against Monroe and Bishop Ahr, the Patriots comeback to defeat John F. Kennedy with an unbelievable score of 13-1 where Freshman Sabrina Tiseo scores three hits and one run. The Patriots then go on to defeat township rivals Woodbridge Barrons with a very close score of 9-5. Sophomore, Jessica Donovan, receives three hits and two runs with a batting average of .600.

With many incredible wins and upsetting loses, Freshman Caitlyn Hroncich said, “I learned that I could compete with girls that are 2, 3 years older than me,” in response to the end of her first of many softball seasons. Although she regrets pushing herself too hard due to the fact that she has to get surgery in May, Hroncich is a solid example of a dedicated Patriot.

Coach Cyrana, varsity softball coach exclaimed, “Every season is a little different, every season is good no matter what the record, no matter what. I have seniors that I’m never going to forget and I’ve had a good year with them, it was a season that I just loved being a part of.” With the future to focus on, Cyrana explained the importance of conditioning and working hard to get familiar with field because it is the first step of a team that works together and know each other. Not regretting a single thing, Cyrana’s best memories will always be beating Woodbridge twice and Kennedy once, “We were the township champs as far as that goes, but it always feels good to beat them.”

Hroncich on the other hand will never forget her first scrimmage, “It was my first time at bat and I hit a double.” For Hroncich is was all about first impression, and by far she and many other impressive freshman have shown what their all about and have proven that Colonia will not be looked down upon.  

“Things happen during the season and you just kinda roll with it. It’s been a good season. It has taught me patience, family, and priorities,” Coach Cyrana explained. Although it will be tough to let go of seniors like Juli Wright who has totaled her runs at 13, and Gaby Perez, who has a total of 21 hits this season. Freshmans like Alyssa Gregor who has a total of 21 hits as well and Caitlyn Hroncich with a total of 11 hits have a season to work up to and aspects to improve for a better or similar season. The future season will be up to them and their coach.