Student-led Dungeons and Dragons Club kicks off

Photo Credit: Photo via Wiki Images under the Creative Commons License
Because D&D is a widely loved game, competitive players enter tournaments to win cash prizes.

Dungeons and Dragons, a tabletop game loved by many, now has it’s own club at Colonia High School. Every other Wednesday in Room 282, a student-led D&D Club is held.

Dungeons and Dragons, a game that can have multiple players, needs multiple student to run. This is why this game is perfect for a club setting, Colonia’s D&D Club having close to 20 people.

D&D is a combat-based tabletop role-playing game in which players make their own characters and backstories. Players choose what race they want to play out of various options such as human, elf, dwarf, and many other. Players also choose a class from various options, rogues, warriors, wizards, and many more.

The current estimated number of people who play Dungeons and Dragons is 5 million- since D&D came out in 1974, there has been an estimated 20 million players. D&D is a game loved by many, including various Colonia High School Students. And, because of these students, D&D Club came into existence.

D&D Club is a part of Colonia’s Anime Club, and it is mostly advertised to members of Anime Club. Almost no one outside of Anime Club really knows about D&D Club. The students in D&D club are still looking for members, and are excited to be able to share the adventure of D&D with others.

Student and club member, Nada Aly said, “It’s just plain good old fun to have after school. You can get creative with your character and learn how to react in situations that will never happen in real life, and that’s the fun of it.”

D&D Club is also student-led. The students decide what happens in the club, and what adventures they will play through. The student in charge, called a Dungeon Master, are in charge of managing the club and the adventure the students play through.

The adventures partaken in the game all depend on both the game master and the players. The game master determines the general plot of the adventure and the enemies face. The players and their decisions in the game decide where the story actually goes.

However, D&D is supervised by Colonia’s English teacher, Mr. Brian Long. Mr. Long may supervise the club, but during the game, he is only a player.

Mr. Long said, “You learn teamwork, you learn about strategy, you learn about cooperation in ways you may not have learned previously.

Alongside having fun, students get a chance to learn new and exciting skills, such as communication and problem solving. D&D gives students chances to expand their imaginations. They expand their skills by looking at situations in a different way, stepping outside the box.

82% of people interviewed believe the skills learned in D&D are important to learn and can help them in the future.

Dungeons and Dragons Club is here at Colonia to let students express themselves in new ways.