Colonia’s varsity volleyball team soars to the GMCs

The ecstatic girls win a tough match against Montgomery high school

With a win over Piscataway the day before, Colonia High School Girl’s Volleyball Team were ready to get another victory on Saturday, October 22nd against Montgomery at Colonia High School. 

The varsity girl’s previous record before this rainy Saturday was 17-3. Senior, Amarah Ellahi, one of their key players this season took over the libero position after Senior, Brielle Williams, hurt her back to an extent where she will be out for 6 weeks; Ellahi stepped in to become the libero for the remainder of the season. Ellahi is a passer regularly and has been exceeding so well at this position with a total of 249 digs this year and 364 total career digs.  As many people thought, Ellahi had stepped up to fill some big shoes Williams left for her after her unfortunate injury.

“Honestly I was nervous because it wasn’t just me changing my position. Multiple people on the team has to step up like Camila and Christina. Just being so comfortable with our team and how it was running, I never expected anything to change. It came as a surprise to me especially hearing that Brielle might be out for the whole season. I knew we all had to work harder than ever and just adjust to all the changes and just start growing into a new team. Initially I was upset because I didn’t want Brielle injured because I know how much she loves playing, however I was excited to be the varsity libero, it’s a dream come true. With the endless support from the team, even when I thought I couldn’t do it, they pushed me and gave me the strength to believe in myself and be the best I can be. I couldn’t have done it without my team,” said Ellahi.

Teamwork and chemistry are ingredients that give teams the potential to win a championship. For this team, to win and have a successful season, teamwork and chemistry was and still is a key part. However, their communication is a very important aspect to their game and has reflected on their successful season of 17-3. 

“I’m definitely very close with the team this season. Some of us play club together, and because it’s my second year playing with all seniors I think we all have really bonded. After spending so much time with everyone, the volleyball team has grown to become my family on and off the court, and I couldn’t have asked for a better year,” Junior, Sam Ashton responded.

Starting off the game was Ashton behind the service line. This serve started the amazing performance by the varsity team as Sophomore, Camila Camacho, ended with an excellent game obtaining 3 service points, 6 kills, and 4 digs. Senior, Mackenzie Williams, obtained 7 kills and 3 digs as Ellahi got  7 service points and 13 digs.

As many people believe, this volleyball team has a good chance of grabbing this GMC Champions title. The girls have been working hard to get to where they are right now. From last season to this current season the volleyball program has tremendously improved with just a few adjustments from coach Hennessy himself in such a small time frame. His strategy as a coach is to focus on every individual player and tell them what they are doing wrong and how you can fix it as oppose to yelling and stressing the girls. 

Coach Hennessy is considered one of the best coaches at Colonia high school. Having talented girls by his side through this journey to the championship has made his job a whole lot easier. 

At last, the varsity team won against Montgomery in 2 sets. Ready to take this victory and put it under their belt for 18-3, the girls get ready to compete for the GMC title this week.