The rip-roaring Out of Control by Sarah Alderson is thrilling from start to finish

Cover+of+the+novel+Out+of+Control+written+by+Sarah+Alderson.++Photo+Via+Frankie+Brock+
Cover of the novel Out of Control written by Sarah Alderson. Photo Via Frankie Brock

Her hosts are dead, the authorities can’t be trusted, she’s on the run with an attractive fugitive, welcome to New York City. Out of Control by Sarah Alderson was published May 22, 2014 and is a non-stop thrill ride from beginning to end.

When 17 year old Olivia “Liva” Harvey witnesses a brutal murder, she’s taken into police custody for her own protection.  When the police station is attacked and bullets start flying, it becomes clear that Liva is not just a witness, she’s the target. Nearly escaping with her life, Liva and her car thief partner Jamie “Jay” Moreno become an unlikely team.

In the mean time, the two are on the run from the police , the FBI, a secret agency, gangs, and a mass murderer. Strangely enough, they find comfort in each other as they struggle to survive. On the streets of New York they journey from the upper east side to the multicultural Hispanic section of Brooklyn.

First, Jay gets to see a glimpse into Liva’s tough life when they visit her dad’s apartment and he learns about her background. Then, Liva learns to understand Jay and the troubles he faces everyday by avoiding the bloods.  Therefore, from here on they make a silent pact to stick together no matter what.

This book grasps the attention of readers from start to finish. The action and uncertainty of the events that unfold keep the audience reading. It’s one of those books you just can’t put down.

To begin, the plot of the story was different and it made you want to find out what was going to happen next. You feel so many emotions as you read. It often feels like you are living through the traumatizing events yourself. The surprises throughout the book and the shocking ending are well worth the read.

In addition, the characters are well developed in a short time span. They are easy to relate to and you feel for them. Liva and Jay are struggling to keep it together and they rely on each other heavily. The two have a great chemistry that develops within a few short hours. They understand each other and tell each other things that no one knows.

The descriptions of the characters personalities and appearances are vivid. Liva is a tall girl of Irish and Russian heritage, who has distinct features.  Because of her mixed heritage she often feels her features don’t fit her well, and she is self conscious. She is a stubborn girl who relies on her own independence and tries as hard as she can to be emotionless.

Opposite of Liva is Jay, he is a six foot mix of Cuban and American heritage. He knows he is attractive and doesn’t try to hide it, he enjoys flustering Liva any way he can. Due to his confidence, he relies on his humor to lighten the mood and distract both him and Liva from the terrible events surrounding them.  Jay is protective and never goes back on his word.

Also the supporting characters complement the leads personalities and work well with them. Marisa and YoYo are the only light in the dark 24 hours Liva and Jay must endure. Liva’s father, Daniel Harvey, is a key aspect of the novel and saying any more would spoil the story entirely!

My heart seemed to race the entire time I read the book, for multiple reasons. Sarah Alderson had a perfect writing style for this type of novel. The romance was intertwined with the action perfectly. The story contains so many different elements and touches on every emotion. Love, loss, heartbreak, abandonment, trust and lack of it.

The only thing I could say about the book that was somewhat flawed is the ending. It was shocking and exciting and I wish there was more to it. I wanted to know what happens to the chargers after, and where everyone ends up! The story takes place within 2 days and we know nothing of the characters prior or after. I wish the ending wasn’t so abrupt, gratefully some things were tied up but there was a lot left open for imagination.

On Good-Reads the book received an impressive 4.4 out of 5 stars. If given the opportunity I would rate the book a 4 as well. Though it was an amazing book and worth the read I would not say it was the best book I have ever read.

In conclusion, it was a light and enjoyable read of 320 pages. As a result, Out of Control is the perfect read for someone looking for action, adventure, romance and mystery.