In Casablanca love prevails

Casablanca is the meaning behind the quote “If you love someone set them free, If they come back they’re yours; if they don’t they never were.” – Richard Bane
Photo Credit: photo via https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Casablanca,_title.JPG through the creative commons license
In Casablanca love is always alive

Set in the beginning of World War II, European citizens are migrating from different countries to Casablanca in hopes of reaching the new world.

Starring Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine and Ingrid Bergman as the “Femme Fatal,” Ilsa Lund. Rick Blaine, an Older American Native, who moved to Casablanca unknown reasons. Blaine, the owner of the high end restaurant known as “Rick’s Café.” The go to place for socializing, gambling and performing illegal sales of exist visa.

Rick is Mr. Mysterious, nobody knows his background of why he is in Casablanca. Rumors spread and idea’s are thought, but no one knows what this ladies man is really about. Alongside every leading man, is a leading women. The beautiful Ingrid Bergman plays Ilsa Lund, Rick’s ex-girlfriend, who rick hasn’t seen in years. One night Ilsa walks into the café with her husband, the eastern worlds most famous convict Victor Laszlo. Laszlo played by Paul Henreid has escaped from country to country and even out of German concentration camps. As Laszlo’s reputation grows it also follows him, Once he stepped foot in Casablanca bushels of French Vichy and the German Army were there ready to arrest the escapi.

The main cop on the hunt is Captain Renault. Renault portrayed by Claude Rains is the corrupt cop of Casa Blanca. Working alongside Major Strasser (Conrad Veidt), the both of them attempt to keep Laszlo locked in Casablanca.

Overall Casablanca tells a beautiful love story of two star crossed lovers and their journey back to each other. Casablanca does have it downfalls though. Although beautiful, it is quite hard to keep up with. With such a deep storyline to follow everything can get very confusing.

Filmed in 1942, Casablanca is considered Film Noir. Prior to the actual defined years of Film Noir. Because of its use of classic traits from Film Noir like, exposure to protagonist, femme fatal and corrupt cops. And also taking advantage of cinematic elements like harsh lighting, rain, and smoke.

Points to note about the movie is most of these actors moved from stage productions to the picture shows. The way these actors eat, breath, portray their characters is much different from any other modern movie. The actors speak extremely fast, and different languages and dialects are thrown about like confetti. Making it very easy to get caught up in the voices then the whole story.

My final rating of this film is a four out of five rating and a B+ rating. For its overall storyline and cinematic efforts, point off for the confusing story line. Rotten Tomatoes gave a 97%  fresh, and an 8.6 out of 10 on IMDb