Girls Basketball Tame the South Plainfield Tigers

Photo Credit: Genesis Torres
Celebrating Senior Night, the Lady Pats huddle before the game.

On Tuesday, February 7th, the girls’ basketball team took on South Plainfield at 5:30pm, as they celebrated their six graduating Seniors in a night to remember.

Coming in with a record of 8-11, Colonia returned home after a devastating lost against North Brunswick 40-27. Without a doubt, the loss wouldn’t get in the way after their Senior night would be enough motivation for the underclassmen to get a win that the Seniors would never forget.  

“I’ve been looking forward to this game all season. Every practice,  and game helped me for the game. We played them previously in the season, so we knew what to expect, which helped a lot.” Senior captain, Noelle Bost, spoke out.

On the other hand, the South Plainfield Tigers were prepared to continue winning after dismantling the Iselin kennedy Mustangs 57-27 on Saturday, February 4th and improving their record to 9-9.

The furious five Seniors started the game against the Tigers as their sixth man, Maeve Doyle, sat on the bench after a serious shoulder injury that took her out for the rest of the season. It all started out intensely in the first quarter as Colonia could only get ahead by 2-4 points within every minute. The resilient Tigers managed to get ahead by the end of the half with an easy 11 points in two minutes. Nonetheless, the Patriots came back instantly, as Senior, Laurina Archille,  rebounds a shot attempt, swiftly hits a layup and Senior Captains, Bost and Angie Barrett, each shoot a three pointer to tie the game.

It was all uphill for Colonia as every shot seemed to go in, and although the Tigers were slowly coming back, the impressive Sophomore, Amaya Martinez, averaged four blocks that kept the Tigers from clinching a win. The underclassmen would continue to not go unnoticed as the belligerent Sophomores, Caitlyn Hroncich and Kailee Stanley, averaged 13 points and six rebounds.

Each Senior served a special moment as the confident Ayanna Abdulahad was almost certain they would win, contributing seven rebounds, four assist, four blocks, and two points. Archille and Stephanie Ayr would combine a total of six points, two blocks, and two steals, but the outstanding captains, Barrett and Bost, would leave their sacred marks behind as together, they would lead the team with 24 points, six steals, five assists, and seven rebounds.

“When I was home putting my home jersey on one last time I teared up. The sport I have been playing my whole life is coming to an end and it’s very sad. Once the game started I was hyped and determined to win. I didn’t want to give South Plainfield the satisfaction of beating us on our senior night,” Bost confessed.

The Patriots would improve their record 9-10, as a back-to-back was imminent with the Tigers this upcoming Monday.