How to survive being single on Valentine’s Day

Valentines+Day
Photo Credit: DeAndre Oglesby
Valentine’s Day can be a great time for couples, but a depressing time for those who are single.

Valentine’s Day can be romantic if you’re in a relationship, but quite depressing if you’re single. This article will help all you single people out there survive this dreadful holiday.

Tip #1: Talk to Friends

Being single can be very painful on Valentine’s Day. When you see couples walking by, you just can’t help and feel sad. You wonder why you just can’t find someone that’s right for you.  In 2014, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that about 50% of people in America are single. So remember that you’re not alone.

One good way to cope with being single is to talk to another single person. At least one of your friends have to be single like you. If you have a friend who’s single as well, they can relate to your problem. They’ll be able to provide some useful insight on how to cope with loneliness. In addition, you can hang out with them and have fun like you usually would. Valentine’s Day shouldn’t prevent you from being yourself.

Tip #2: Don’t go Online

Couples will most likely post about Valentine’s Day on social media. Everyone’s Snapchat story will be overflowing with posts about how they love this person or that person. Every Instagram post will show how so and so’s date is going. And almost about every ad will be about advertising gifts for Valentine’s Day. Next to Halloween and Christmas, Valentine’s Day is one of the most commercialize days of the year. So if I were you, I’d avoid going on Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, or the entire internet in general. However, don’t think the television is safe either. Lovey dovey commercials about hearts, and roses, and chocolates, and expensive rings will be all over the place.

Tip #3: Go on Netflix 

Although I did say to avoid the internet and television, that doesn’t mean you can’t go on Netflix. Netflix has hours of content to get you through the day. Some great examples of their shows are Orange is the New Black, Bojack Horseman, House of Cards, and much much more. The best part is, there are little to no ads. However, if you don’t have Netflix, there are a plethora of other streaming services out there. YouTube Red gives you access to high-quality video’s produced by some of the best YouTubers.

A Crunchyroll membership is a must if you like anime and other Japanese entertainment. HBO Now is a great app that provides you with some of the hottest television shows like Game of Thrones or Westworld.  However, when going on these streaming services, be wary of romantic films like The Notebook. However, in order to enjoy a good movie, you need refreshments. Which leads us to our next tip.

Tip #4: Eat your Favorite Food

If there’s one thing all people enjoy, it has to be food. Your favorite delectable dish can provide you comfort during rough times. So while you’re watching your favorite TV show or movie, make sure you grab some delicious snacks. Your local grocery or convince store will be a great source of food. Preferably Dollar Tree because everything there is literally a dollar! But be careful not to look directly at any Valentine’s Day decorations you may find. Whether it be Pringles, ice cream, Panera Bread, or Coca-Cola, just grab something you like and drift away into flavor heaven.

Tip #5: Listen to Music

For centuries, music has been a mean for people to express themselves. Whether it be classical, country, rock, or rap, we all have a favorite genre. So what better way to cheer yourself up on Valentine’s Day than to listen to your favorite music. However, depending on what you’re listening to, you might just end up feeling worse. For instance, don’t listen to anything that has to do with romance or sadness. So that means no Taylor Swift because let’s face it, that’s a good 99% of her songs.

Furthermore, I suggest you listen to Valentine’s Day is a Lie by the YouTuber jacksfilms. This comedic song points out everything bad about Valentine’s Day. It will have you rolling on the floor with its lyrical genius. But best of all, it’ll make you realize how stupid and pointless of a holiday Valentine’s Day really is.

In short, being single on Valentine’s Day shouldn’t bring you down. Your material status shouldn’t be the center of your life. You’re already a great and interesting person on your own. Who says you need someone else to make you feel whole? Someday, if you’re lucky enough, you’ll find someone who loves you as much as you love them. It may take weeks, months, or years, but it will be worth it. So for now, enjoy the other things life has to offer.