Preview Of The Boys’ Tennis Team

Photo Credit: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wilson_Tennis_Racquet.jpg

If you want to have fun and have a challenge think about joining the boys’ tennis team. They are looking for young players to build the team for the coming years.

According to kidskonnect In tennis, a player must score four points to win a game. Six games have to be won to win a set and two sets to win a match. In a tennis match there are two or three sets. The games are scored starting at zero and go up to 40, but that’s actually just four points. From zero the first point is 15, then 30, then 40, then game point which wins the game. There are different hits you can do in tennis: forehand, backhand, serve, volley, lob and drop shot. Most people that play tennis hold the racket with just one hand so they can do a forehand stroke but some hold the racket with two hands so they can do a backhand stroke. In tennis, you win points by being the last team or player to hit the ball into the opponent’s court.

Last year was the first year coaching tennis for Biology teacher, Brian Finnegan. Last year was a growing season for them. Most of the players are upperclassmen so they are looking for fresh new players. Finnegan loves working with the kids. For practice they usually warm up then Finnegan teaches the kids a new thing. Then they review a drill and get competitive against each other and start having some fun. There are over 20 matches in the season.

Karl who is a senior has been playing tennis since freshman year. He started playing tennis because of his friends. When asked if this will be a good year he says “maybe.” Tennis can be competitive but it is fun when playing with friends. Some would think that it would be difficult adjusting to a new coach but Karl says “it was not hard to adjust to coach Finnegan.”

Finnegan said, “this should be a good year the whole varsity from last year is returning.” Finnegan recommends joining tennis because “there is a lot of opportunity to make varsity and it’s great to learn about yourself.” He also says there is a lot to benefit from joining the tennis team”you learn about yourself, learn to manage expectations, and manage your wins and losses.” Finnegan is hoping for a better season than last year.

Anyone interested in having fun and enjoying the spring weather should consider joining tennis. If you don’t want to join you can come to some of their matches and help support Coach Finnegan and the boys’ tennis team.