Think you’ve got what it takes to be a competition cheerleader?

Photo Credit: Coach Andrea Simkovich
Yes, it only took 12 girls to take the title of fourth place and to beat hometown rivalry, the Woodbridge Barrons.

Is cheerleading really a sport? If you even have to think about it, you’re wrong already.

Did you know that cheerleading causes more injuries than any other sport? If that’s true then why would wouldn’t it be considered a real sport? The Colonia High School cheerleading team fought long and hard during their 2016-2017 season, placing fourth in the state final competition in Trenton, on March 5th, 2017.

The girls’ season started back in September with long and sweaty practices preparing for each competition every weekend. Junior, Ashley Lourenco was new to the team this year and decided to cheer because of her extraordinary tumbling skills. She was placed as a flyer with absolutely no experience what so ever as a cheerleader, just as a fantastic gymnast. Her teammates were there to support her and help her do better everyday. The teamwork led to the defeat of their crosstown rivals, The Woodbridge Barrons.

The state competition which usually always occurs in early March, happens after a long and hard fought season competing against local teams. The Colonia Patriots strive to beat the Barrons every local competition unfortunately were not able to. Until Sunday, March 5th, the Patriots had something in them that they never knew was there. They brought out their tightest motions, their cleanest tumbling and their solid stunting skills, and killed the game. Even though the team placed fourth out of seven, they still finally beat the only team they had intentions of winning against the entire season, the Woodbridge Barrons.

“After a long and hard season, it was really great to be able to spend my last year as a comp cheerleader with such amazing girls. We had such a small team so it gave us all the opportunity to become closer with each other individually,” said senior, Brianna Franks.

Every morning before a competition the 12 girls would meet at a team members house to get their makeup done and do their hair together before a long day of competing. Head coach Mrs. Andrea Simkovich as well as coach Ruta, were also very proud of the girls for beating their cross town rivals, as well as for working hard throughout the whole season through tough practices especially when things seemed almost impossible to overcome, such as tumbling and stunting.

It is always nerve wracking before you get on the mat during every cheerleading competition, and before competing in any sport at all. “I wouldn’t want to spend my last season with anyone else, I wouldn’t want to struggle through tricky stunts with any other group of girls. I loved being able to be an influence to those new on the team and be able to tell them what to expect as their next years as a Colonia High School cheerleader, and I am truly going to miss it.” Says senior, Nia Muckle.

The life of a cheerleader can give you bruises, and sometimes make you cry, but there’s no life better than being able to make amazing friendships with and amazing team.