• Congratulations to the Class of 2017!

Snapchats’ Tastemade stream changes the game for mobile entertainment

Logging into Snapchat unlocks a world of entertainment, right at the tips of your fingers!

Photo Credit: Photo via www.suggest-keywords.com under Creative Commons License.

By: Manuela Martinez, Spring Editor/Reporter

Snapchat is no stranger in the social media game, right behind Twitter and Instagram. In fact, since it’s launch in 2o11, it’s the 3rd most popular app among millennials.  Here’s a quick look at it’s stats since then:

A whopping 158 million people use the Snapchat daily, much more than you’d think. That means an average of 2.5 billion snaps sent per day, which is totally insane.

Many apps have preoccupied daily lives, but Snapchat has become more than just keeping talking to friends.

It’s like every app bunched into one, Netflix, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest (if you’re into that sorta thing). With it’s feature to add a “story” for everyone to see, it’s easy to stay updated. Now, major companies ranging from Buzzfeed to CNN are hopping on the bandwagon. The result is a digital culture native to Snapchat, where a user can pick from an exciting mix of daily uploaded videos. All they have to do is scroll past their friends “stories” to see the range of uploads.

That being said, Snapchat also happens to be a perfect app for foodies. It includes not only the beloved Food Network but also the fairly new Tastemade. Founded back in 2012, Snapchat is where the new company got it’s jump-start. Tastemade, like other companies, have daily “discover stories” pertaining to it’s main theme: food. Everyone loves food videos, and the three founders have successfully found a way to make it millennial-friendly. What Food Network is on cable, Tastemade is trying to be for mobile-friendly social networks. It seems they’ve got off to an awesome start, generating 1.5 billion views monthly, with 100 million monthly active viewers.

Another great feature offered by Snapchat is the ability to take the show you’re viewing and send it to any of your snap friends. Say you really enjoyed a recipe video on Tastemade, simply hold it down and send it to anyone. The great content provided daily by the digital brand makes it easy to see why they’ve garnered a loyal following in such a short amount of time. Each daily upload can contain up to 10 different video segments, some much shorter than the others.

The creativity and inspiration put into each upload Tastemade sends out will want you going back for more everyday. The best part of it all, along with every other great thing Snapchat offers, you can carry it all in your front pocket.