A Close Game with Sayreville (5) at Colonia (3) – Softball

Photo Credit: Samantha Fioravanti
The ending score of the game.

Wednesday, April 26th, Colonia High School’s varsity softball team, lost a close game against Sayreville War Memorial High School.

What is teamwork? The definition of teamwork is, according to Webster’s Dictionary, “the combined action of a group of people, especially when effective and efficient.” Yet in the words of the head varsity softball coach, Ms. Cyrana, teamwork is “what makes a team go. [Teamwork] isn’t just an individual – it’s everyone.” Coach Cyrana is proud to say that her team works in unison, primarily because “they hold each other accountable…they all know what needs to be done and will encourage one another to do so.” She believes that when everyone is working for the same goal, they’re more likely to reach it together.

Colonia’s softball team has been around for many years. According to Max Preps, the team has been nationally ranked 3396 and state ranked 77. About 20 girls makes up the 2017 varsity team. They consist of two seniors – Samantha Fioravanti and Samantha Pucci. Five juniors – Sarah Soos, Yamilee Moreta, Kaitlyn Kelly, Brianna Rennie and Jess Donovan. Eleven sophomores – Alivia Taveras, Kelli Mulrooney, Casey Mulrooney, Caitlyn Hroncich, Lauren Godfrey, Juli Santos, Rebecca Anzano, Frankie Brock, Lauren Wright, Sabrina Tiseo, and Alyssa Gregor. And lastly, one freshman – Lexi Carlos. Not all, but some players listed above, are recurring varsity players from the previous season. The coaches of the softball team are Coach Cyrana – the head coach – and Coach Greene – the assistant coach.

On April 26th, the CHS varsity softball team played up against Sayreville War Memorial High School. Throughout the game, Jessica Donovan went 2-for-4 with three RBI while Kelli Mulrooney scored two runs for Colonia. Sarah Soos went 2-for-3 with one run while Sabrina Tiseo pitched a six-hitter with two strikeouts and no walks. In inning two, the score was at 0-1. By the beginning of inning seven, the score was 1-5. In the end, Colonia lost with a concluding score of 3-5. Despite their slow start, when asked how she thought her players performed, Coach Cyrana had said, “they didn’t start off well, but they stayed dedicated until the end and that’s what really showed the type of players they are.”

As of right now, the team hasn’t had many casualties yet in terms of injured players. There has been multiple minor injuries throughout the season, but none too major.  Also, senior varsity player Fioravanti, has been sitting out recently due to an injury with her arm.