Wands, Wizards, and Wonder

Photo Credit: photo via slashfilm.com under creative commons license.
Welcome to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

During the month of March, I had the wonderful opportunity to go to Orlando Florida with my family for vacation. The trip itself was something I was pretty excited for. Having gone to Orlando before, I knew that my family and I were going to go to Universal Studios, which I was very excited about. With all the many attractions and rides that Universal Studios has to offer, the one that’s really worth taking a look at would have to be The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

The attraction was opened May of 2010, with the idea to re-create the entire series that many people have grown to love in one attraction. From your first step into the Islands of Adventure, the entire ambiance flashes with the feel of Hogwarts and Harry Potter. The detail and precision that was put into the making of the attraction is absolutely incredible. From the cobble stone roads, brick buildings and stores, the wagons that sell the famous butter “root” beer and pumpkin juice, or the mini shops with the wands and cloaks that are for sale, every single aspect down to the staff that walk around in harry potter gear – there isn’t a dull “human” moment in the Wizard World.

The entire theme is based off of the novels and movies that J.K Rowling created. Orlando’s Universal Studio consultants met with J.K Rowling and the Harry Potter film designer Stuart Craig to construct and design the entire park down to the nitty gritty detail and the entire world and image Rowling created for us.

The main attraction that everyone fawns over is the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey which has people waiting in the winding line for hours just to ride the popular attraction. For this attraction, it takes you through the Hogwarts School itself and that alone has people marveling at the detail. My own father and grandfather were talking about the detail, time, and money that had to be put into making it and how real it really looked. We also met die-hard fans that go every single year just because “the experience itself is absolutely worth the money and wait.” The craziest part of this wait in line is the fact that at one point you are in the Hogwarts school and out comes Harry, Hermione, and Ron themselves (very, very detailed holograms) to give the instructions of the rides.

The family vibe that radiates through the park is heartwarming to say the least. Families are seen everywhere having a lovely time. The staffs are also some of the sweetest people there and are very helpful when needed. Also, to really create the entire Harry Potter experience, it really is necessary to be the ultimate tourist when there. From buying the t-shirts, cloaks, and wands – which at 18 I still begged my mom for – to buying a nice cold glass of butter root beer for the family. It might be pricey but it really is worth the money and time.

It is guaranteed that even if you aren’t necessarily a Harry Potter fan, by the end of the trip you’ll have nothing but wonderful things to say, you might even go home to watch the entire series from beginning to end! Opening this summer at Universal Studios in Florida is Diagon Alley and The Hogwarts Express which are both rides that will be part of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.