CHS students boogie with senior citizens at the Senior Citzen Prom

On Friday, April 11th Colonia High School hosted their annual “Dancing with the Seniors,” a Senior Citizen Prom.

When you first enter the building staff gave the senior citizens and student volunteers a name card, which allowed everyone to mingle and get to know each other. There were 20 tables of ten set up in the gymnasium. Each table gave a program for each citizen that listed what was planned for the evening.

The dance began with a performance by The Patriots Boys’ and Girls’ Choir. After the choir sang, it was time to serve dinner. Students who showed up to volunteer their time for the dance helped those who had trouble walking or standing by serving them food and drinks. There was a variety of different dishes, since it was a buffet, from penne vodka to steak.

After everyone was served, students took the time to get their food as well as sit down with new groups of people. They started conversations by asking about their evenings, children and family life. Mr. Pace also made an appearance to greet the guests while they ate dinner. As everyone in the room mingled and enjoyed their dinners, DJ’s played different varieties of music from 50’s swing to 80’s rock.

Before the dancing began, Mayor John E. McCormac made a speech dedicated to those who have been a part of the Woodbridge Township Community and the volunteers who showed up. Immediately after Mayor McCormac’s speech, people emerged from their seats, seniors and volunteers,\ to dance on the dance floor. Groups of volunteers taught the seniors how to dance to modern songs, such as the Cha Cha Slide and the Cotton Eyed Joe. Although when the classics played, the seniors taught the students how to dance.

After an hour or so of dancing to a selection of songs, it was time for dessert. Students retrieved cakes, cookies, and ice cream cups for the freezers and refrigerators and brought it into the gym. They set up the dessert bar with foods labeled according to what they are and whether or not they were sugar-free. There were multiple cakes as well, ranging from chocolate to vanilla, so people can treat their sweet tooth with whatever flavor they desire. Tea and coffee, decaf or with caffeine was available also.

After dessert people were eager to get up to dance again, so up they danced once dessert was over. Group dancing between students and seniors began also; anyone was able to join in if they wanted to. As the end of the event was closing in, the volunteer staff began to clean up.

Another senior gave a speech to the students explain how thankful he and the others who attended the dance were. “We can’t even begin to express how thankful we are that you spent your time to make ours brighter.” He also began to say how great the production of the dance has been these past years.

Once it was seven o’clock, the attendees began to leave and received a flashlight that had the date of the dance encrypted on it, so they could remember the fun they had that night. As people left, they were ushered by students to their car. Volunteering is about spending your time to make anyone’s life brighter and different in a positive way, and that is exactly what the volunteers of the night accomplished.