Trivia Crack, Here and gone?

Although still one of the top downloaded apps, Trivia Crack is falling out a favor with users.
Photo Credit: “Photo by Isaiah from Trivia Crack App used with permission”

If you were anywhere near the app store or google play about a month ago you definitely played the sensation trivia crack. Even if you avoided the hit game you probably saw people constantly playing it.

Trivia Crack is a trivia game in which you answer trivia type question from six categories. The categories included Sports, Science, History, Art, Geography and Entertainment. Essentially you were trying to answer enough questions to fill your gauge and win. The game was the most downloaded game in December 2014 and everyone was playing it. Every day I would see people sneak in a couple Trivia Crack questions during school (at lunch when phones are allowed of course) or even at work. The game was a huge hit, but as of lately I don’t hear anything about Trivia Crack. All of that popularity and suddenly it just all crashed, what happened?

To me it feels like déjà vu, if anyone remembers a game called Flappy Bird then you might feel like this has all happened before. Everyone sees the top game on the App Store, downloads it and instantly realizes how addicting the game is. We play the game before school, before bed and even at work; so much that we grow tired of the game before a couple weeks. It’s almost like Trivia Crack is following this formula exactly.

But why do only certain games like Flappy Bird, 2048 and Trivia Crack follow this formula. In my opinion they’re just the perfect games, here me out. When I say perfect game, I’m definitely not saying Flappy Bird is one of the best games of our time. I would never compare Trivia Crack to Game of the Year winners like Last of Us or Fallout 3. I think Flappy Bird and Trivia Crack are perfect for another reason. What game can you say brings both boys and girls together, teachers and students, and provides entertainment? No it’s not Call of Duty; in my opinion only games like Flappy Bird, 2048 and Trivia Crack do that.

The only problem I see with these “perfect” games is that they’re only played for about a month and are almost forgot about in months to follow. If you saw someone playing Flappy Bird today it would probably feel as though you’re reading a history book. Trivia Crack is starting to follow the same path; it’s easy to see that the game isn’t as popular as it was a couple of weeks ago. If it follows the same pattern as games before it then in about a month or two it will be forgotten and a new game will probably replace it.

Why do games on the app store lose interest after only a couple months when I can play any other good video game for a couple years before getting tired of it? I think the easy answer is that these games don’t have enough content. The creator of Flappy Bird, Dong Nguyen said this after pulling flappy bird down from the app store; “Flappy Bird was designed to play in a few minutes when you are relaxed, But it happened to become an addictive product. I think it has become a problem. To solve that problem, it’s best to take down Flappy Bird. It’s gone forever.”

These games weren’t meant to be played for hours a day, but to be played if you’re on the break or have an extra minute in the day. Flappy Bird became a sensation and was also killed because of us. Now, when I see a popular game like Trivia Crack, I get worried that the same thing might happen. Seeing the game still number one on the app store puts a smile on my face because I also once loved the game. Hopefully, Trivia Crack sees many more days on our phones and app store games in the future stop following the Flappy Bird formula.

View Comments (2)