Ending the semester with a bang: Total Rock

Mr.+Perrino+hits+the+stage+with+fellow+guitar+club+members+
Photo Credit: Alyssa Lage
Mr. Perrino hits the stage with fellow guitar club members

Colonia High Schools’s Jazz Band and Guitar Club members ‘rocked’ Colonia’s auditorium on Friday, January 16, 2015 with an event called Total Rock. Total Rock is an opportunity for local bands comprised of Colonia students to showcase their music.

Total Rock is organized by Colonia’s band teacher, Mr. Kevin Perdoni, who started this event five or more years ago. This year the jazz band played three songs and then there were two bands from guitar club that put on performances. One band called themselves Four Dollar Chair and the other band called themselves The Beatles.

Total Rock is also a fundraiser for Perdoni’s band trip in the spring for all the band members. This year $800 was collected off ticket and refreshment sales which was a huge success considering last year, Total Rock was cancelled because not enough tickets were sold in advance. This year, Total Rock did not a full house, but enough of  a crowd to  make some money for the Marching Patriots.

Other teachers involved with Total Rock include: math teacher Mr. Thomas Pasko, math teacher Mr. Andrew Tuffs, band teacher Mr. Kevin Perdoni, history teacher Mr.Richard Kondrik and history teacher Mr. Perrino. Together they performed under the name of The Mr. Williams’s Project.

There are many people who question the importance of music classes at school, they question why have events like Total Rock. The truth is, everybody has his or her own opinion and some people hope to get more students involved with the arts in schools, while others think athletics or academics should be more enforced. So, what exactly is a thought about Total Rock being a part of the yearly Colonia High School calendar of events? Perrino stated, “The importance of total rock besides helping fund raise for the band trip, the importance is that it (Total Rock) allows students to perform live and share their talents.” He also stated that the Guitar Club this has many potential musicians, and he felt that they put on great concert this year.

Hopefully, this year’s turn out of Total Rock impressed the school and students enough to keep the tradition going next year. Total Rock was indeed a huge rock out this year and most students even said they wished more bands performed. This year Total Rock was only about one hour long. Will 2016 Total Rock grow and be the best one yet?