Sleep and Stress: Teens vs Adults

Photo Credit: The Declaration Staff
Students require more sleep than adults.

How much sleep is enough sleep? Is sleep really that important? And do teens  need more sleep than adults ? Well, the answer is that it really depends on you. Sleep can vary between age, health, and even your lifestyle. Depending on the  situation adults might say they need more sleep than the average teenager in school,  but that is not true. Teens need more sleep than adults. Teens should get about 8.5-10 hours while adults need about 7.5-9 hours. This is because many changes occur in adolescents between the ages of 11 and 22 years. In addition to sexual maturation, the frontal lobe of the brain increases in size and activity. This is the part of the brain that governs reasoning and decision making.

Infographic  of the results of the survey taken about sleep and stress.
Photo Credit: Sam Pucci
Infographic of the results of the survey taken about sleep and stress.

NBC 2014 News’ report entitled “Teens More Stressed-Out Than Adults, Survey” claims that “Despite the growing pressure, most teens reported they don’t believe that stress is a problem in the agency’s Harris Interactive survey of 1,950 adults and 1,018 teens ages 13 to 17 conducted last August. About 54 percent of teens said that their stress level had slight or no impact on their body or physical health, versus 39 percent of adults, and 52 percent said it had little impact on their mental health, compared with 43 percent of adults who felt that way.”

Mrs. Bebe, Colonia’s School Nurse said that sleepy students isn’t a huge problem at Colonia; the Nurse’s Office averages five students per week being sent down from class due to sleeping during class.

Even though most teens would say they have more stress and they need more sleep adults think differently. Adults always think teens in high school or young adults in college don’t have any stress, but that statement is wrong. In 2013 The Crimson White conducted a survey which concluded that young adults in America today report being more stressed out than any other age group.

This could also be true because many teens have to take on adult responsibilities such as working a job, taking care of family members, and making dinner. These responsibilities are added to the student’s already busy school work load.

“Teens need more sleep and are more stressed out. This is because teens have to worry about school tests, college, peer pressure and balance all of that with after school activities and sports,” Sophomore Emma Kull stated.

Adults tend to forget all of the pressure a teen goes through. This could be because times have changed since they were in school. “Adults have more stress because they have to work and take care of their family,” sister Kayla Kull, 22, said.

Keep in mind. Sleep isn’t exactly a time when your body and brain shut off. While you sleep, your brain stays busy, running in top condition, preparing you for the day ahead. Without enough hours of restorative sleep, you won’t be able to work, learn, create, and communicate at a level even close to your true potential.

Sleeping really is important, and people tend to ignore signs that they need to sleep more. Those signs can include moodiness, reduced creativity and problem-solving skills, concentration and memory problems, difficulty making decisions and fatigue. Not getting enough sleep can also cause weight gain and increase your risk of diabetes, heart disease and heart problems. Teens especially should make time for some Z’s.