57th Annual Grammy Awards is watched by 25.3 million

On February 8, 2015, the 57th Annual Grammy Awards took place. The Grammys have been the second most watched award show for years, the show is filled with awards and performances throughout the night.

The 57th Annual Grammy Awards, hosted by rapper LL Cool J at the Staples Center, captured 25.3 million viewers attention. The three and a half hours long award show was very eventful, from the red carpet to the ten awards presented to the  performances. The red carpet showcased outfits that the artists were wearing, to provide entertainment to those who enjoy fashion. Winners of awards included Beck, Eminem, Paramore, and Sam Smith who took home four awards, two of them being record of the year and song of the year.

The Grammys is said to be the second most watched award show on television, first being The Oscars. According to ibtimes, last year, 2014, there were a total of 28.5 million viewers. This year’s ratings were down by 11% meaning only 25.3 million people viewed the 2015 Grammys, these were the lowest ratings received since 2009.

Sam Smith performing at the 57th Annual Grammy Awards.

“Award shows have all become the same lately, there’s nothing that makes the Grammys stand out. Watching people get awards is just like old news, everyone gets awards and it’s predictable,” high school student, Kyleigh Blazick commented.

Despite the lower views, social media was used by millions of people during this award show as a way to express their opinions about what was happening during the Grammys. On Facebook, 17 million people made interactions about the Grammys, most about Sam Smith winning the award for record of the year. Including record of the year Sam Smith also won song of the year, best new artist, and best pop vocal album.

“Sam Smith is a talented and new artist, and many people like seeing new artists becoming successful,” high school Junior, Theodore Coursen stated.

Twitter was also used during the Grammys night, 20.9 million tweets were made during this show, however tweets were not about the awards nor the performances, these people were tweeting about Kanye West getting on stage while Beck was accepting his award for album of the year. Kanye West is not unknown for getting on stage during others acceptance speeches.

“Not many people know who Beck is, Kanye West probably felt like the person who should have won album of the year should be well known,” Coursen added.

Like most award shows the Grammys  were not all about presenting awards to the winners. According to the Grammys, 47% of people enjoy watching performances the most during the show. Performers included Sam Smith, Ariana Grande, Sia, Kanye West, Tegan and Sara, and more adding up to a total of 23 performances. These artists provided musical entertainment throughout the show by performing their well known songs, adding to the events taking place at the 57th Annual Grammy Awards.

During the Grammys President Obama delivered a message about the “It’s On Us” pledge, which was viewed by everyone watching the award show. President Obama stated that he wanted all artists to ask their fans to make the pledge to stop domestic violence, promoting this pledge a great amount.