Main Street Parade Kicks Off the Holiday Season

Photo Credit: Stephanie Polonis
Colonia’s Marching band marching in the main street parade to show their support.

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 at 1:30pm Woodbridge hosted its annual Main Street Holiday Parade. CHS students volunteered to dress up like characters and walk in the parade to please the numerous children in attendance. Also, Colonia High’s own Marching Patriots and cheerleaders were a part of the parade.

The parade has been a tradition for many years; every year the parade is on the first Sunday of December. The parade started at Woodbridge High School, walked out on St. George Avenue, advanced to Freeman Street and then turned right at Linden Avenue. From there participants marched down to Green Street and gradually the parade made its way onto Rt. 35 to the final stretch down Main Street. The parade started at 1:30pm sharp and ended around 4pm.

“This is my second year doing the parade, it’s a great way to get the community in a great holiday spirit,” stated Jessica Fleischman, a sophomore band member.

There are many different organizations that walk the parade. All three Woodbridge Township high schools walked in the parade, with the band and cheerleaders. This year each school had a float with their Homecoming Kings, Queens and the Homecoming Court.  The parade also had all the Woodbridge Township Fire Departments represented. Other participants in the parade were the ambulances and EMTs, dance schools from Woodbridge Township, the Woodbridge Animal Shelter, the CERT program, Boy and Girl Scouts, The Billiard Club of Woodbridge, local Woodbridge Township veterans, the American Irish Association, American Legion and many other Woodbridge Township organizations.  Vintage cars driven by local residents also made their way through the parade.

While the organizations were walking or driving down the parade they threw all different kinds of candy out of their Christmas-themed car or floats. At the end of the parade there was a float with Mr. and Mrs. Santa Clause waving and wishing all a Merry Christmas.

“I love going to the parade, this is my 16th time going to the parade, it was the best time I’ve ever had,” stated Alexander Gall.

For many families in Woodbridge Township, the Main Street Parade has become a family tradition that many look forward to each year.  Township members feel the parade is a great kick off to the holiday season.