Prodigy blows Legend out of the water

Prodigy shines its predecessor, Legend
Photo Credit: Photo via Flickr under the Creative Commons License
Prodigy shines its predecessor, Legend

Prodigy, written by Marie Lu, is the second book in the trilogy. The trilogy follows “a young government prodigy and a notorious criminal who cross paths in this heart-pounding romantic thriller set in a dark and futuristic Los Angeles” according to Goodreads.

Legend, the first book in the series there is a war going on within the United States. Except in this post-apocalyptic setting, the U.S. is split into 2 fronts: the Colonies and the Republic. The books are told by two leading characters: Day, a renegade from the streets  and most wanted criminal, and June, an elite student at Drake University and the Republic’s shining prodigy.

In Legend, Day’s family does not know he is alive. There is a plague going around the poorer sectors of Los Angeles. Day’s little brother contracts this deadly plague and since Day’s family is poor, they cannot afford medical help. Day goes to the local hospital and steals medicine that his brother needs. During his getaway, a government official and June’s brother, Metias, tries to stop him. As an act of defense, Day throws a knife and it hits Metias shoulder.  It is very important to know: this knife did NOT kill him. Day runs away before the rest of the situation plays out.

By some turn of events that remains unknown, Metias never makes it out of that run-in alive. Day gets pinned for the murder, but it is hard to understand how a knife to the shoulder resulted in death.  June is then pulled out of school and put right onto the police force under a Commander Jameson.  June goes undercover in the poor sectors to find Day–and she does.  

June succeeds and the most famous criminal in the Republic, Day, is captured. He is sentenced to be executed later in that week.  The more June and Day talk, the more June began to realize the flaws within this government she’d been blindly loyal to.

June helps Day escape his execution and even tricks the Republic into thinking they succeeded in killing Day. After escaping June and Day began their way to the Colonies and that’s where Prodigy picks up.

During this entire time, June and Day become very close and a romantic relationship brews.

Prodigy follows June and Day’s adventures with The Patriots to assassinate the Elector, or leader, of the Republic. The second book also shows stress of Day and June’s relationship.

Prodigy was very well-written. It was much better than its predecessor, Legend.

The growth of the characters is amazing. June has changed from the Republic’s newest prodigy who thought her government was perfect and could do no wrong to a girl who was in love with the Republic’s most wanted criminal and left questioning what her government was really up to.

What really makes this book better than the first is the plot. The plot just moves at a great speed, but it’s not difficult to keep up. The book doesn’t ever get boring. The government portrayed in the book provokes thoughts in the reader about the way current governments are run.

The dialogue, romance, death, and action really intrigue readers that only Marie Lu can reach with her pristine writing.

Prodigy includes a “love square” and there is a little bit of kissing, fighting, soul-wrenching death, and themes of selflessness and selfishness.
It is also book 2 of 3 in the series. The third book is named Champion, for those interested in finishing the series.