Students Should Take a Chance on The Shannara Chronicles

Photo Credit: Photo Via https://www.flickr.com/photos/viipeer/24067428760 under the creative common license
Tune in to The Shannara Chronicles on MTV premiering soon with it’s second season.

In a world where humans don’t run it, and technology is a foreign concept, The Shannara Chronicles shows us another side of the future, where a hundred years of war nearly destroyed the human race, and magic has taken control of Earth. Within those lost years, new species are introduced, such as elves, gnomes, druids, faeries, and even trolls.

Premiering on January 5, 2016, The Shannara Chronicles, was based on the best selling fantasy book series by Terry Brooks, “The Shannara Chronicles.” The story takes place in the Four Lands, where a foreign tree called the Ellcrys, resides in the elven royal empire and was planted to keep the demons away. After years of growth the tree’s leaves begin to fall, leaving three extraordinary people to find the seed and replant it.

Amberle (Poppy Drayon), the princess of the elven empire, was chosen as one of the seven to protect the Ellcrys and was responsible of carrying the seed of the Ellcrys and planting it. Now I know what you’re thinking. Really? A princess? Well, besides her highness and casual royal lady like attitude, she isn’t any ordinary  princess who needs saving, she is saving. Haven’t you ever heard of “Act like a lady think like a soldier?” Well she’s the definition of it.

Then of course there’s Wil Shannara (Austin Butler), a half-elf-half-human breed and son to a war hero,  who is quite one mean kicking machine with magic powers and great overprotective skills.  And Eretria (Ivana Baquero), a nomadic human thief belonging to a clan called the rovers, who is basically a no good stealing human who cares about nothing but herself, or does she?  Along with several helping characters such as Allanon (Manu Bennett), the Druid and the guide for all three major characters, Amberles grandfather Eventine (John Rhys-Davies), the elven King, and her uncles, Arion (Daniel MacPhereson)  and Ander (Aaron Jakubenko).

Three very non-obvious choices will take responsibility of millions of lives and will have all the fate of the world on their hands. Having the season end with a dramatic turn of events, is quite the eye catcher, so is this show really worth watching? Well, yes, yes it is. The Shannara Chronicles is very hard to stay in tune in the beginning. It can have a whole lot of nothing and if you aren’t patient then you are wasting your time. But, if you’re a sucker for fairy tales and underdogs then just wait because it is actually a very interesting show.

You couldn’t think of a better story. The plot is quite amazing. and the effects are impressive. Although the action itself could use a little work, there is a lot of sarcastic humor to make up for it. And let’s not forget, there’s also an Eretria. The comic relief and the ultimate rebel of the story. Then you have a not so damsel in distress, who I promise you will surprise you, and the guy with a past to live up to, who I promise will enlighten you. So catch up on season one and get ready for season two. You don’t want to miss it.