Breakfast at Tiffany’s is Not Worth Renting

Photo via https://www.flickr.com/photos/37467370@N08/5733902458 under creative comments license. cover photo to the cult classic “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” featuring Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard

Breakfast at Tiffany’s hit the silver screen on October 5, 1961. Quickly becoming a hit among young women across America. Directed by Blake Edwards, Breakfast at Tiffany’s tells the story of Miss. Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn), a high-end upper east side escort, and her male love interest Paul Varjak (George Peppard) a writer who hasn’t written anything five years. So now his main source of income is by being a “kept-man”. In the starting scenes we meet our night owl Holly being woken up by Paul, He is in the process of moving into the apartment above hers but he fails to have the right key. Paul then buzzes sleeping beauty awake, and there starts their very weird love story. The protagonist Holly seems to have her hand dipped In a few different troubling situations, other than being an escort Holly’s second job is telling the “weather report” to Sally tomato (Alan Reed). Which in the long run, brings her to more trouble than it’s worth the extra cash. Holly lives a glamorous yet fake life, coasting along on her good lucks and no intelligence. Holly life is similar to take of Jay Gatsby from the iconic book the Great Gatsby.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a movie that runs all over the map. Starting with a very ditsy Holly who doesn’t have a care in the world. She is constantly waking her neighbor, who eventually calls the cops on her. Coming off as someone who doesn’t want to fall in love, or face the commitment from love. Holly looks like a gold digger. She flirts with Paul but agrees to marry  José da Silva Pereira (José Luis de Vilallonga), although by then end we see a whole new side to Holly.

People who would like Breakfast at Tiffany’s would be young women and men, but the show is definitely a “Chick Flick.” On a scale of one to ten I would rate this show a 5. There is really no central plot of this movie and there a too many holes to understand. “I turned off the movie after 10 minutes. I couldn’t understand what she (Holly) was saying” Katie Paige 27 year old teacher.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s is based off the novella Breakfast at Tiffany’s written by Truman Capote. Capote originally wanted Marilyn Monroe to play Holly, and she was all set to do perform as the leading lady but after being informed that Holly was “like a call-girl” Monroe dropped the role, thinking it would hurt her image. After Monroe dropped they auditioned and found Audrey Hepburn. Hepburn was paid $750,000 d to play Holly which is equivalent to $5.9 million today. Being the second most paid actress in history, the first being Elizabeth Taylor.