Students Should Take Interest In Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment

Published+on+April+11th%2C+2005%2C+Maximum+Ride%3A+The+Angel+Experiment+is+the+new+best+sci-fi+thriller+filled+with+432+pages+of+intense+drama+and+action.+
Photo Credit: Genesis Torres
Published on April 11th, 2005, Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment is the new best sci-fi thriller filled with 432 pages of intense drama and action.

Published on April 11, 2005, the creative American author James Patterson, has done it yet again with another successful story that will lead to the beginning of a series and will leave you on your toes. The 432 pages  are filled with mysterious surroundings, thrilling action, and emotional outcomes. There’s no doubt that Maximum will take you for a ride.

Max, the oldest of the group and the leader who is too wise and too motherly for just a 15 year old, belongs to a group who call themselves “The Flock.”  Second in command is Fang, who is very dark and bold and can be seen as the father-figure of the flock. Then follows Iggy, who may surprise you as one the smartest of the group, and oh yeah, he’s also blind.  The fourth member, Nudge, is known as the girly girl of the flock. Who doesn’t need a princess in the story right? Following next, is Gazzy, also known as the Gasman,  and is hence the name, very good with bombs. But let just say he didn’t get that name for just that reason. Gazzy is also the only one who is actually related to one of the members, which is Angel, the youngest member. Angel is seemed as one of the most dedicate members, but she actually seems a lot more powerful than you think. Oh, and she can read minds. Can’t forget that. 

The Angel Experiment was an observation to engineer humans into something different  using bird and human genes. It all started in a lab called “The School,” which contained experiments using the combination of humans and animals in order to improve humanity. Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gazzy, and Angel were the main Angel experiments and were 98% human 2% avian.

In the story we meet Max, who through her, we learn that the flock managed to escape the school with the help of a scientist named Jeb. After a few years, Jeb disappeared and the flock has been alone for two years since then. When everything seemed to be going smooth, the flock’s peacefulness was soon disturbed by no other than the “Erasers,” who are half human and half wolf, and are used as soldiers from the school. After a few minutes of action and aggressive fighting, the flock immediately notice that the erasers were no longer attacking, but have taken their youngest member, Angel. Out of solutions, Max, as the leader decides to go find Angel along with Nudge and Fang, leaving Gazzy and Iggy behind to protect their home. Things get rough as it always has, Gazzy and Iggy end up reuniting with Fang and Nudge who were patiently waiting for Max to come back after she went to help a girl who was in trouble.

The flock end up stumbling upon more information day by day page by page. Did Max come back? Did the flock save Angel? What did the flock figure out through their journey? These are the questions you will be asking yourself in only the first few chapters. Just to point something out, this book isn’t no where near the end, Maximum Ride will leave you intrigued to read more. Chapter by chapter the tension rises day by day. You start feeling part of the story as James Patterson successfully describes every scene and makes you feel the way the characters feel, just as if you are too part of the flock.  I mean how could you not like mean flying kicking machines with attitudes? I sure do.

A perfect combination of sarcasm, drama, and action will lead me to say that I certainly recommend this story especially people from ages 13-17, due to intense violent combats and scenery, and of course the casual drama that all teenagers love. This book deserves a lot more credit than it deserves. The plot is intriguing because you don’t get much interesting sci-fi stories, especially with characters who you can relate, characters that have attitude and bring different things to the table. So grab your library card and check out Maximum Ride because you won’t regret it.