Colonia’s Girls Tennis faces Mother Seton

Before the game against Mother Seton, the team garners their spirit.

On Monday October 24th, Colonia’s Girls’ Tennis Team played against Mother Seton for their Senior Night.

The Colonia Patriots took a devastating loss when faced up against Mother Seton. The Patriots pushed their hardest against the Mother Seton Setters, but they still took a hearty defeat. Team members were not disheartened, though, when they celebrated Senior Night after the game.

The Patriots, with their record of 16 losses and 2 wins, anticipated a loss against Mother Seton. That didn’t stop them from fighting hard until the end of the game. The game went on for an hour and thirty minutes, and the Patriots used every one of those minutes to try to get the advantage on the Setters.

Team member Calista Li had high hopes for the game, but was pessimistic. She said, “We’ve been trying our best, but we’ve been struggling.”

The team members that played were Diya Pujara, Melissa Ngai, and Brunella Godoy on singles. Veronica Estavez and Archna Mahendru, and Sweta Patel and Shainna Manalo were on doubles.

The game didn’t start out well, almost all the games met a quick loss. A majority of the singles were falling behind before the first match ended, but the doubles were holding up well. Estavez and Mahendru were managing to slowly crawl ahead of their opponents during their first match. Despite their perseverance, none of the girls won their first match.

The Patriots were still not pulling ahead in their second match. However, Patel and Manalo won their second match, while their teammates fell behind. All matches ended after this except for Patel and Manalo’s, who went for a tie breaker. Patel and Manalo won their tie breaker. They were the only girls from the Patriots that took a win.

To prepare for the game, Melissa Ngai practices against a team member from Mother Seton.

This was not because of lack of effort on the Patriots side, however. The girls were all going through separate struggles during the match. Mahendru was sick, but she still pushed and did her best. Pujara had strained her wrist, but she was still trying her hardest in her singles match. Ngai had shin splints and was in pain during her match, but that didn’t stop her from giving it her all.

Through this match, the Patriots have shown their spirit and pride. The Patriots have shown their true colors through this loss, because not for a second did they give up. Throughout all their struggles, they didn’t stop. The Patriots endeavored throughout the entire game, despite their own issues going on a the time.

After Ngai finished her match she said, “I feel like our team has had a great attitude in this season, so even though we aren’t winning every single game we’re still giving it our best.”

The Patriots have had a great attitude throughout the season, despite losing their match against Mother Seton, they still gave it their all. In spirit, they won.

Colonia’s Girls Tennis team exemplifies Patriot pride. They showed courage and dedication in the face of Mother Seton. Despite their loss, that courage and dedication never left.