CHS’s Coffee House shouldn’t be overlooked

The+Zodiac+Arrest+band+performed+their+first+act+on+stage+in+the+winter+coffee+house.+
Photo Credit: Genesis Torres
The “Zodiac Arrest” band performed their first act on stage in the winter coffee house.

Character, commitment, and community. . .  this third annual winter Coffee House had it all and much more. On December 14th, the musical Patriots shined bright as they celebrated their annual Coffee House.

On this date, three years ago, Mr. Perrino, history teacher and founder of the guitar club, received traumatic news about a former student of Colonia High School, named Caroline Szewczyk, who graduated in 2006. At the age of 25, Szewczyk had suffered a severe stroke which left her paralyzed from the neck down. Since then she has suffered from Dystonia, a disease that causes involuntary repetitive twisting and sustained muscle contractions. Living a difficult life, her journey has been filled with challenges and obstacles, so Mr. Perrino and his guitar club members were fully determined to make a difference to help Szewczyk on her fight.

The Coffee House did not only become a way for musicians to express themselves and their talents, but it was a way to remind Szewczyk that she was not alone. Throughout the years, the Coffee House members have raised nearly 3,000 dollars to help Szewczyk, and it has given doors for the musicians in our school to gain self-esteem and be comfortable to be themselves.

Voices that belonged to people you could have never imagined, exploded on the stage and surprised many crowds. Being nervous was out of the question as the CHS Patriots cheered on and respectfully listened. Bands such as “The Semester Project,” “Zodiac Arrest,” and “1279” were seemed to be the biggest hits as each brought different elements to the table. “Break The Basement,” CHS’s former band of last year, came back once again and lit the atmosphere bringing them back to life and showing their unique skills.

Photo Credit: Genesis Torres
Mr. Perrino and Zac Benedicks perform their guitar semester project for the first time in the coffee house.

Although many unique voices and acts were the highlights of the night, there is no doubt that Mr. Perrino and his guitar club members could not have done it by themselves as many, including the interact club,  fully committed to helping bring in food and decorate the cafeteria.

Despite the fact that the Coffee House may need a little work, many believe they deserve much more attention than what they are getting. The students of CHS have worked hard and made every event possible for not only the entertainment and the fun they get out of it, but for the amazing cause they raise money for. There is nothing more beautiful than helping people doing what you love and enjoy doing, and it is just a matter of time before the Coffee House begins to be the talk of the school.

If you missed out on a historic night, you have another chance to see your Patriots musical talents this Spring. “I think it’s one of the best events in the entire school district and the atmosphere and the energy is great and the kids all worked hard. I encourage all staff and students to come out and see us in the Spring,” Mr. Perrino excitedly stated.