In 2017, men wearing chokers is in but shouldn’t be

Man showing his new fashion trend chokers

Its now 2017 and chokers are the new thing for men. At first in 2016 the chokers were for the women.There are a bunch of fashion trends that have come to 2016.

The past year was full of thigh-high boots, lady pantsuits and off- the shoulder everything. On January 4, 2017, Matt Lauer of The Today Show revealed that he’s been wearing a choker underneath his suit and tie for years.

For women, the choker started to make a comeback in 2015 in the form of 90s nostalgia as seen on celebrities like Rihanna and the Kardashian clan. For men, chokers started appearing on the runways in July at the shows of Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Hood by Air, and even Rihanna’s line Fenty by Rihanna

The Jewelry Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, chokers have been around for thousands of years, first gracing the world’s earliest civilizations such as the Sumer Empire in Mesopotamia and Ancient Egypt. They are usually gold, while it was thought to be protective and imbued with special powers.

Chokers emerged again throughout the Renaissance purely as stylistic choices and were especially popular with royals towards the end of the 19th century. Women in Germany and Austria also used the necklaces to hide lumps on their necks caused by goiter, a disease common across the Alps at the time. In other corners of the world, simpler ribbon-chokers were symbols of prostitution.

Chokers aren’t for men at all, they shouldn’t haven’t brought that trend to 2017 leave it in 2016. Chokers are meant for women; its a fashion statement not for men to wear. Its only acceptable if they were modeling a clothing line.

Over the last year or so, the choker was brought back from the Claire’s clearance bin thanks to America’s other first family: the Kardashians. But at no point in the last 20 years has the choker ever looked good on a guy . Even if Kanye West ever wore what is essentially a tight fabric necklace, we’d have to call bullshit on even the great style god that is Yeezus.

But it doesn’t stop there. In June, male Louis Vuitton models walked the designer’s spring 2017 Paris runway in chokers, according to the New York Post. The newspaper’s website also pointed out that “Just a week before, in Florence, Raf Simons dressed several looks from his men’s collection  designed in collaboration with the Robert Mapplethorpe Foundation — with elegant-yet-fetishistic collars.” And on the Milan runways, the designers behind Dsquared2 “showed chain-link accents in their David Bowie-indebted catwalk presentation.”

“They seem feminine. But regardless, people are free to do what they want. It is no concern to me if a man or woman is wearing one, as they like it – or else they would not be wearing it in the first place,” explained Wayne Girad, sociology teacher at CHS.