Applying for college doesn’t have to be so difficult

Outside+of+the+guidance+office%2C+there+is+a+board+of+many+colleges.+
Photo Credit: Austin Amaro
Outside of the guidance office, there is a board of many colleges.

Applying for college is something that can be stressful. Although the process can be difficult at times, there are ways that can make applying to college an easier task.

Choosing a college can be a stressful thing in itself, but once that is done, applying is next. Students have to put together their applications and submit them to different colleges by a set deadline. The most common way to create a college application is by making a Common Application. More well known as a Common App, the Common Application allows students to create an application on their website. Once the Common App is filled out, it can be sent directly to a multitude different schools that are compatible with the website. It is a much easier alternative to filling out a different application for every school that students apply to. If a school isn’t compatible with Common App, then the application will be completed on their website.

Most people know that when applying you will need to fill out many pieces of basic information. This includes your name, address, phone number, zip code, parents’ names and occupations, GPA, class rank, etc. But some things that students may not know about is the other stuff that colleges need. Most colleges need at least one letter of recommendation as well as an essay. The Common App allows students to write one essay that is sent to every school that they apply to. In some cases, colleges will need an additional essay, which Common App allows students to do directly. Even though the application process sound relatively simple when said, it isn’t an easy task for most people. If a student is in trouble, then they should ask their parents, friends, or most importantly, guidance for help.

In an interview with Ms. Galvin, Galvin explained that guidance will be a student’s’ biggest helper in the application process. She said “Come and see us; ask us any questions you have and check out our website.” Guidance, hence the name, will guide a student through a difficult period of high school. Galvin added that she feels that students should start looking and colleges and applying during their junior year. She described the application process as being a lot and added that it can be overwhelming if one keeps pushing it to the side. If she could give one piece of advice to anyone that is going to begin the process, it would be to be organized and not to procrastinate.

For many seniors, the stress of applying is over and now they’re on to deciding which college to attend. When reflecting on her experience, Brianna Kelly, a senior, stated that, “When applying to college, I really had to go on my own and figure things out.” Kelly also said that students should ask guidance counselors and admission offices as many questions as they can. In the end though, guidance can only provide so much help, and like in life, you’ll have to figure out certain things on your own.