The Lion and The Witch and Wardrobe: a coming of age novel

photo credit via flikr
photo credit via flikr

C.S. Lewis in The Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe discusses the hardship the children are going through with the use of his creatively made up universe called Narnia. The Chronicles of Narnia:  The Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe take places during the World War II bombings of London.  Lucy and her siblings are remove from their home because of air raids. The children  left on their own without their parents. The four English siblings sent to a country house away from the war where they will be safe.

The new life with new strange people became a huge difference for Lucy compared with her previous life. Lucy , the youngest of the four, begins to snoop around finds a wardrobe that transports her to a magical world of Narnia. After coming back, she soon returns to Narnia with her brothers, Peter and Edmund and her sister, Susan. There they join the magical lion, Aslan, in the fight against the evil White Witch.

Lewis was one of the most influential writers of his time, most well-known for the series The Chronicles of Narnia. He was born on November 29th, 1898 in Belfast, Ireland to Albert James Lewis and Florence Augusta Lewis. In 1908 C.S.  In 1910 he enrolled at Campbell College in Belfast, but respiratory problems caused him to leave the school. He later joined the army then discharged after being wounded in the Battle of Arras. His writing career began in 1919 and continued until his death in 1963.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe took 10 years to write. Lewis started in 1939 and finished in 1949. The novel published in 1950. The Christian themes in the story are overt. Aslan, as a stand-in for Christ, allows himself to be sacrifice by the evil White Witch. His resurrection , brings salvation to Narnia. This follows Christ’s death on the cross and his resurrection three days later.

The Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe film adaptation released in theaters 55 years after the book was published, is very similar to the novel but it does have some difference. In the film the White Witch has fair skin, brownish-blonde hair and a crown of ice. In the book the Witch described as “not merely pale, but white like snow or paper or icing-sugar” with black hair and a golden crown.

In the book, Aslan vaguely tells Peter he will be leading the Narnians alone. The movie, Lucy sends the Dryads to tell Peter and Edmund that Aslan is dead, leaving Peter to decide what to do.In the movie, Edmund and Tumnus share a cell, and Jadis taunts them by telling Tumnus that Edmund turned him in. In the book, Edmund and Tumnus did not share a cell as Tumnus had already been turned to stone when Edmund arrived at Jadis’ house.  The movie did do a very good job by trying its best to match the accuracy of the book. But the novel gives your mind more room to imagine.