• Smart Lunch Test Trial This Friday

• PTO First Annual Indoor Circus Nov. 18th 1-6

• Happy Thanks Giving! 1/2 day of Nov. 21st and NO School Nov. 22nd & 23rd

• Come watch the fall production ¨Our Town¨ Nov. 14th, 16th, & 17th

Should marching band be consider a sport?

Preparing for the upcoming marching band season, Colonia High School marching patriots is ready for a successful season.

Photo Credit: Photo with permission from Lors Studio

By: Robyn Epstein, Spring Reporter

According to the Oxford dictionary, a sport is an athletic activity requiring skill or physical talent that often is in a competitive nature. With that definition marching band is technically a sport.

Marching band is an activity that requires physical exertion. They march and do organized drills on the football field. They perform in straight lines at different speeds and steps. Depending on the speed of the song it can vary their movement and make it more intense.

Research in 2013 of The Effects of Participation in Marching Band on Physical Activity and Physical Fitness in College Aged Men and Women studied 21 male and female members of marching band who agreed to be hooked up to a heart monitor. The study found that marching band can be vigorous and requires cardiovascular fitness.

In order to partake in marching band, students need to require some sort of skill. Students in the woodwind and low brass

Playing her solo, sophomore Julia Irizarry managing to march and still play music at the same time.

department have to place their instruments in a certain position at all times. Color guard members must be in sync with one another. Personally, I find percussionist to have it the hardest. They have to carry up to 45 pounds for a whole eight minute routine. Not only does that require skill, but it requires physical exertion just like any other sport.

The last factor needed in order for marching band to be consider a sport is its competitive nature. Not only does marching band participate in parades and football games but they also compete.  Almost all weekends marching band competes and sometimes competes twice in a day. Teams get judged by music and visual performance of the show.

Why others disagree

Even with facts proven that marching band is a sport, people are still disbelievers. For some it comes down to opinion and not being fully aware of what the marching band does on a daily basis. Others believe that although marching band can be difficult, it should be considered an art rather than a sport. The last view I have heard was that marching band should be considered a hobby.

While I do understand where they are coming from and respect their opinions, I have to disagree. Marching band should absolutely be considered a sport. My first year of high school, I was not a member of marching band. I viewed many school football games and saw the band, but never fully appreciated their work. Now, as a member I can fully understand the hard work that goes into marching band. Practices are everyday for at least an hour and half and once a week they are three hours.

Although I do respect everyone’s opinions when it comes to this topic, marching band does more than play songs and march in circles. It is not only a sport, but a family.

Robyn Epstein, Student Life Editor

Robyn Epstein is a junior at Colonia High School. She has one older brother who is twenty and his name is Craig. They both enjoy going to the movies together and playing sports such as baseball and football. Epstein has one dog name Bosco who is an American bulldog mix. They enjoy going for walks together and playing in the backyard.  In her free time, she likes to hang out with her friends, listen to music, watch T.V. and her favorite is to sleep. At Colonia High School, Epstein is on the bowling team and in color guard for marching band. Her favorite school subject is history because she loves learning about the presidents and what they did. When Epstein graduates High School her plans are to go to college, graduate and either become a special education teacher or a therapist. She also would like to travel the world and visit her dream location of Paris, France. Epstein super excited about this year and can’t wait to see what the future holds.

1 Comment

One Response to “Should marching band be consider a sport?”

1. MINDY on May 18th, 2018 2:57 pm

a very well written article, which I wholeheartedly agree with!

*

• Should marching band be consider a sport?

Opinions

Tips for first time voters

Opinions

Transgender memo is setting back society

Opinions

Dear the Class of 2022

Opinions

Fostering dogs saves lives

Opinions

Should you have to take a date to prom?

Opinions

We need to talk about mental health

Opinions

The PARCC Test- Testing everyone’s patience

Opinions

Puppy mills and dog breeders have got to go

Opinions

Benefits of volunteering

Opinions

Is Amazon invading employees privacy?