E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial is released

Photo Credit: Photo via Wikimedia commons under the Creative Commons license
Released in 1982, E.T.: The Extra terrestrial is one of the highest grossing films of all time.

Today in 1982,  young director Steven Spielberg draws from his life experience to create and release E.T. By releasing E.T., Spielberg was able to revisit territory he entered before with  Close Encounters of  the Third Kind (19777). Both films follow a hostile appearing alien race that comes to earth, and later proves to be friendly. With E.T., Spielberg was able to appeal to an even more general audience with a friendly looking alien character.

Working closely with the screenwriter, Melissa Mathison, Spielberg was bale to capture the story of the kind, cuddly alien and the little boy to help him get home.  The story follows Elliot, played by Robert MacNaughton, who discovers E.T. with his siblings one day outside.  Together Eliot and his friends must work to keep E.T. safe from curious adults and get him back home. The film received high praise right away, as critics at the 1982 Cannes Film Festival loved it. E.T. didn’t disappoint at the box office either, raking in about $435 million.  In addition, the film was nominated in nine categories at the 1983 Oscars.  Overall, E.T. won four for Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Visual Effects, Best Original Score and Best Sound. As of 2008, the film was number five one the list of highest-earning films of all time, marking its legacy.