Review on The Cursed Child

For years people have loved the Harry Potter series and it has had such a big fandom. J.K Rowling brings magic and wizards to life in these books with such interesting plots in each book.

Summary

In ” The Cursed Child” takes places several years later after the original series takes place. Harry, Ron, and Hermione now have children of their own who they are sending off to Hogwarts. Harry’s son, Albus is scared to get sorted into Slytherin. Slytherin is one of the four houses that the students can be sorted into. Both Harry and Ginny were in Gryffindor and he was scared to break the family tradition. Albus ended up being sorted into Slytherin and became friendly with Scorpius Malfoy which was the son of Draco Malfoy. Draco and Harry never got along so it was strange for their sons to now be friends.

When Amos Diggory find out there is one time-turner that hasn’t been destroyed, he asks Harry and his friends to go back in time and save Cedric’s life. Cedric was Amos’s son who was innocently killed by Voldemort during the tri-wizard tournament.  Albus and Scorpius instead offer their help to Amos. Instead of saving Cedric they end up altering the present where Harry died years ago and Albus doesn’t exist. Scorpius is left with no choice but to tell his father what he and Albus had done.

The Malfoy’s keep altering time and events trying to get back to their reality. While doing so Harry must watch his parent be murdered again and there is nothing he could do about it. . Harry was also too hard on Albus but in reality, he just didn’t want him to go through the terrors he had to go through. Harry and Albus’s bond gets better as they realize how much they are truly alike and care for each other.

Review

Overall I found this book very interesting and enjoyed reading it. J.K Rowling has always been able to appeal to readers and captivate their attention. This book specifically was very emotional and had more than one climax and never felt like it was being dragged on. There was a lot of character development throughout the story with each main character and how the events had effects on them individually. This book bring a very nostalgic feel but there is a lack of interactions between Ron, Hermione, and Harry. This book is 10 years after the original Harry Potter series and in order to truly understand this book, it would be easier to read all the books previous to this one. The book and the play both came out July 30, 2016 first appearing in London and eventually coming to Broadway.

The age group that this book ranges for is very wide because it can go from Young adults, to even adults that grew up reading Harry Potter. It has all the aspects that young adults look for in books