Ready Player One is an exciting novel for all readers

Photo Credit: Photo via Wikimedia Commons Under Creative Commons License
When asked about the film adaptation of Ready Player One, author Ernest Cline displays his excitement for the film.

Summary of Ready Player One

Ready Player One is a science fiction novel by Ernest Cline that also focuses on the dangers of technology. It takes place in the year 2045, in which the real world is in ruins. To escape this, people like Wade Watts, the protagonist, escape to a virtual world known as the OASIS. The creator of this digital world is the  deceased James Halliday, who Wade learns early on has left an easter egg in the OASIS. Whoever cracks his code will inherit all of his fortune. The book follows the story of Wade as he attempts to find this easter egg, and as he progresses he makes more and more enemies that set out to stop him by any means necessary.

The book was a huge hit when it came to shelves in 2011, and so a movie was made in 2018 to show Wade Watts on the big screen. Unfortunately, the movie did not get as much praise as the book did, with 72% rotten tomatoes.

Ernest Cline has since made a sequel (of sorts) to Ready Player One called Armada.

Opinion of Ready Player One

Ready Player One is an amazing book in my opinion. It’s characters have great development and its story is fun, entertaining, and exciting. The story also has some elements of mystery, and there are hints throughout the story that you may put together along with Wade and discover the location of the egg. The main characters are the perfect blend of smart, funny, heroic, and weird that makes them all extremely admirable. The book also heavily revolves around 90’s products and knowledge, which gives readers a nostalgic feeling while they read. The book has an amazing story filled with emotion that makes is a very entertaining read. 

Critique of Ready Player One

However, I do believe that the book could be a bit more descriptive. The book lacks many details, especially during the battles that Wade has. Every mission that he embarks on is over in a snap. There are not enough details to allow readers to picture the events of the story in their head, which is a bit upsetting.

The relationship between Wade and Art3mis, a girl he meets on the OASIS, is extremely awkward. While it is likely intentional, I found the awkwardness between the two of them overwhelming at times and even unbearable. If the book was redone I’d ask that the awkwardness would still be implemented, but to a much lesser degree.

Conclusion

I recommend Ready Player One to anyone who likes Sci-fi novels, adventure stories, and pop culture references. It was extremely entertaining and fun to read, and many readers around the world agree.