New swim coach floats from Woodbridge to Colonia

Photo Credit: Beth Cinkewicz
The Colonia High School swim team gets together for a breakfast fundraiser in January 2014.

Ms. Lindsay Chang is joining the Colonia High staff and will be the new swim coach.

Chang teaches World History II and Sociology at Colonia High School. She was originally a teacher and the swim coach for Woodbridge High School. She was informed of the job opening at Colonia by the administration at Woodbridge. Although she didn’t leave Woodbridge on her own volition, when the decision of where she would be transferred to came up, she chose Colonia High School. Of course Chang will miss Woodbridge High; she had worked at Woodbridge for years and she had built very strong relationships with her co-workers and students alike. However, Chang is also really excited to meet her new team and looks forward to working with them.

As Woodbridge’s former coach, it may be a little awkward in a meet Colonia vs. Woodbridge. When asked what it would be like for her, Chang responded, “It might be weird when Colonia swims against Woodbridge… not for the swimmers, but for me. As the former WHS coach, and new CHS coach, I will be rooting for both teams. So if we could somehow manage a tie, I would be over the moon.” Although she cannot commit her heart to one school just yet, she is happy with her current position at Colonia.

Nicholas Anan, a senior and one of the three swim captains for this upcoming season, is excited for the new season and new coach. He’s hoping the team will cooperate and respect the new coach and vice versa.  “It will be very hard to have my final season without her [Coach Cinkewicz],” explained Anan. He was in shock when Cinkewicz announced she was not returning as coach. He was extremely upset. He explained that Cinkewicz had a huge impact on his athletic life and there is no way he could completely thank her for that.

Beth Cinkewicz, is currently a Science teacher at Avenel Middle School. She got married last Spring, her and her husband made the decision to move away. She was trying to sell her house, and the closing date was during the summer and her new home is about an hour away. Although it broke her heart, Cinkewicz made the decision to not return as the CHS swim coach. As of right now, she is still teaching at Avenel Middle School. The commute was just too much for her to do every day. On a day when the team has a morning practice she would have to be awake at the latest, 4:45 AM, to make the 5:45 AM practice.

Kaitlyn O’Donnell, Senior and swim captain for this upcoming season is very excited for this season with the new coach.  She is excited to see what the season will bring.