My Holo Love is not your typical Kdrama

My Holo Love is not your typical Kdrama
Photo Credit: photo via netflix official site

My Holo Love (Korean: 나 홀로 그대; RR: Na Hollo Geudae; lit. I Holo You) is a 2020 South Korean series starring Yoon Hyun-min and Ko Sung-hee. It was released on Netflix on February 7, 2020. There are 12 episodes and it is rated TV-14. Family and friends can watch this fluffy, romantic show as well. There are no curse words or sexual content at all.

Synopsis

The story revolves around lonely So-Hyeon who suffers from face blindness; a condition that stops her from being able to recognize faces. She lives a sheltered life and as a result of her condition, is unable to make deep connections with the people around her. One day, she accidentally becomes the owner or beta tester of a new AI called Holo, which she’s able to see thanks to smart glasses. Holo was created by the elusive Nan-Do who has also been through some traumatic events. This sets up the premise of the show and from here we follow both our protagonists as they learn more about themselves, thanks to Holo who claims to have developed human feelings.

My Holo Love isn’t like traditional drama elements we’re used to seeing. The result of this is an interesting balance between rom-com tropes and the drama’s futuristic edge. My Holo Love is a warm and profound drama that explores different forms of love.

This show is fluffy and heartfelt, very rarely you would cry because of angst. It feels real. The interactions and chemistry is authentic and the feelings are true. The appearance of the AI intelligence and digital environment was well-conceived. It looked at how people can help each other heal and the importance of emotional connection and touch and even debunked the lies that we tell ourselves about not deserving another person’s love. My Holo Love implies that no one is invalid for love. Including, Artificial Intelligence.

Cast:

Go Sung-See’s portrayal of So-Hyeon is moving and captivating, depicting a troubled young woman unable to recognize faces while Yoon Hyun-Min manages to impressively depict both Holo and Nan-Do. Holo and Nan-do are two sides of the same coin. One is temperamental, arrogant, abrasive, bitter, sardonic, and very real. The other is infinitely patient and understanding, supportive, giving, and giving and giving. The perfect boyfriend material. This is definitely an interesting contrast to witness, as we also see both characters change along the way thanks to the influence of the AI.

Review:

The story is interesting and original, with plenty of likable characters and enough plot twists to keep you coming back for more. My Holo Love blends sci-fi and romance nicely, making it an easy show to recommend.