Advice for underclassman

With+the+first+home+game+of+the+2019+football+season%2C+many+of+the+senior+class+came+out+to+support+their+school.+
Photo Credit: Photo credit via Danielle Allen
With the first home game of the 2019 football season, many of the senior class came out to support their school.

With my last year of high school coming to a close, it gave me time to reflect on my four years. I wished I took more advantage of the opportunities Colonia High School gave me. 

I enjoyed my four years of Colonia High School and even met some of my best friends here. However, I wished I took advantage of all the opportunities that Colonia High School provides for each student. For example, I wished I took advantage of the academics, sporting events, and clubs more. 

Here is some advice for underclassmen or people who are going into high school. 

Challenge yourself 

Even though it’s easy to become lazy and start taking easier classes, it’s essential to challenge yourself. Don’t take a class because you know you could easily get an A in that class. Take a class that interests and challenges you.

Next, if you can handle the workload, I would recommend taking R track, honors, AP classes, or college credit classes. If you have a busy schedule after school and you don’t think you can handle the workload of an AP class, that’s okay. Don’t take an AP or honors class because you think it would impress colleges. Only take harder courses if you want to be a challenge throughout high school, and if you are willing to do the work. 

Throughout high school, I took honors, R track, AP classes, and one college credit class. Even though it was a lot of work with all my school activities, I wouldn’t change it. Taking those classes helped me manage my time better. Also, these classes challenged me and made me think outside the box. Taking these harder classes, I feel more confident about going to college. 

Lastly, in high school, it’s crucial to take risks. Senior Dzesika Pluta explained that the advice she would like to receive as an underclassman was not to be afraid. Pluta states, “…is to take leadership and not to be afraid of taking risks. If you want something, go for it. Don’t make excuses on why you can’t do it, but instead, take action and visualize your success.” 

Do what’s best for you

At the end of the day, you have to pick the best classes for you. Don’t choose a class based on your friends. Also, don’t pick a class if other people said if the class was difficult or not. Always choose classes that interest you. 

Once, I dropped out of class because my friends told me the class was difficult, and it wasn’t worth it. I regret that decision because I never gave that class a chance. I shouldn’t have dropped class based on my friend’s opinions. 

Next, pick clubs and sports based on interest too. If you want to join a club or sport because all your friends are in that club, go for it. However, if you have no interest in that club, try a new club or sport. This way you could make more friends with a similar interest to you. 

Be Involved 

Next, join clubs and sports. In my opinion, high school is fun if you are involved. Freshman year, I wasn’t in any clubs within the school, but I swam for the high school. I was involved in many activities outside of school, that kind of prevented me from being in clubs within the high school. 

I enjoyed high school, but I didn’t really have a lot of friends. Throughout the years, I joined more clubs and got more active in high school. Joining more activities in school helped me find some of my best friends.

Lastly, it’s crucial to get out of your comfort zone and try new activities. Senior Skylar Galvez explained the advice she would have liked to receive as an underclassman was to get involved more. Galvez states, “High school goes by so fast and getting involved helps you make memories that you will never forget. It also allows you to make many different types of friends and build relationships with them that will last a lifetime.” 

Focus on your future

When starting high school, most students don’t know what they want to achieve in the future, which is understandable. However, I believe that it’s always important to focus on your future since freshman year. I know most people start joining clubs and concentrate on their grades more in junior year, which I think people should start concentrating on these subjects since freshman year. 

High school is supposed to help you achieve your goal for the future. For instance, in high school, I worked hard and focused heavily on my classes and volunteer work since I was a freshman. Now, based on my hard work, I got into my dream school. To achieve my goal, I started working hard freshmen on my grades and activities, so when junior year rolled around, I wasn’t stressing out too much. 

Have Fun

Lastly, have fun in high school because you never know when it’s going to end. I never expected the last day of high school was going to be March 13, 2020. 

My advice would try to take advantage of everything high school has to offer until it’s too late. Go to a football game, the spring play, a basketball game, etc. 

Lastly, my goal was to leave high school with no regrets. I achieved my goal by joining new clubs, taking AP classes, and still go to sporting events.