How colleges in New Jersey responded to COVID-19

COVID-19+and+its+affect+on+students+in+school.+
Photo Credit: Photo via: Dreamstime
COVID-19 and it’s affect on students in school.

Due to COVID-19 safety regulations, colleges in New Jersey quickly responded with accommodations for this upcoming year. Local schools such as Montclair State University and The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) have adapted their programs to remote learning.

Montclair State University

The University’s Red Hawk Restart Plan spells out extensive procedures for virtually every aspect of the University’s operations and was designed to enable their students, faculty, and staff to learn, live and work as safely as possible.”

As of September 14, 2020, Montclair students have been taking their academic classes via the computer. Although, the university has put out very specific and clear guidelines for returning to school.

COVID- 19 self-checker

Montclair is demanding all students, employees, teachers, and visitors to complete daily screen assessments prior to returning to campus. Students who live on campus would also have to complete this test before leaving their dorm. The self-assessment test needs to be complete 6 to 12 hours before arriving on campus.

I feel that this “self checker” idea is a great way to regulate the students and employees. However, how will the school know that everyone is exceeding these requirements? Will the school be sufficient enough to keep track of everyone’s assessments? Or will this only last for a couple of weeks and then fall through? Therefore, this operation has potential however only time will tell if it is truly successful.

TCNJ

On August 3, 2020, The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) decided to make all fall 2020 courses remote-only, house only a small population of residential students on campus, and to further reduce in-person on-campus activity. In TCNJ’s “Revised Plans for Fall 2020” document, the administrators have made their intentions truly transparent.

Online Classes at TCNJ

The faculty attended summer workshops on remote learning, course design, and use of technology to help them prepare. Many additional programs such as Career Center, Fall Flex, and The Center for Student Success have found alternative ways to communicate with students and provide opportunities.

In the message, TCNJ even made a point to address the class of 2024. Stating, “Please know that we are developing new Welcome Week plans for you. Consistent with state guidelines, we hope to augment virtual orientation experiences with in-person visits to campus to learn about services and meet with classmates, staff, and others in socially distanced settings.”

I personally think that TCNJ has properly prepared and made the virtual experience more enjoyable and equipped. They made accommodations for as many obstacles and hardships students may experience through virtual learning. I also feel that the message they delivered was very personable and showed some sympathy towards their students. Therefore, giving off a “we are all in this together” aesthetic that is surely relieving to a college student.

New Jersey responding to COVID-19

Aside from college, New Jersey is finally gaining some control over their state and reopening. Some sports have been able to begin practices and have been given the ability to have somewhat of a normal season. In addition, indoor dining and movie theaters have recently opened to the public. To ensure New Jersey’s progress remember to wear your mask, maintain 6 feet from others, and wash your hands.