Protests in India

December 15, 2020

+Women+farmers+walking+through+the+protest.+

Photo Credit: Photo by BSB Photography used with permission.

Women farmers walking through the protest.

Farmers have gathered up and made their way to the Delhi border to reach the parliament. During their journey, they have been met with police hitting them with high-pressure water cannons, tear gas, rubber bullets, etc. Half of the protesters are either above 50 years old or younger than that. Younger protesters have jumped on water cannons and sprayed back at the police to protect the older kissans. Social media shows how one elder in his 80s had got hit in his right eye with a big heavy metal chain. People begged him to go to the hospital but he didn’t budge. He said he will march to Delhi. 

During the Journey

The kisaans have broken the borders that the police had set up. They all have faced major obstacles. All the seniors and younger protesters walked to Delhi. Walking from Punjab to Delhi takes 72 hours. Modi has torn apart a road, making a 20 feet deep hole in the ground. All the farmers sleep on the cold roads during the winter nights. During the protests, some kisaans picked up tear gas and threw it back at the police to protect others. The kisaans make langar( food) for everyone there. They even feed the same police officers that beat them up. That’s how much love they have in their hearts. Before the farmers move locations they make sure their current location is clean. Therefore they pick up all the garbage and then leave.

“If we have to make our homes on the streets of Delhi we will.” Kisaan said in an interview. The determination speaks for itself. The Indian media has painted these kisaans as terrorists, for peacefully protesting. In the picture, you can see the smile on the farmer’s face. Even with injustice, he smiles. They are not terrorists! 

Farmer smiles at the camera. (Photo Credit: Photo by BSB Photography used with permission. )

Protesters wear shirts that state “we are farmers not terrorists” (Photo Credit: Photo by BSB Photography used with Permission. )