Recapping the notable celebrity deaths in 2021

Photo Credit: Photo via Pixbay
As the year comes to an end, society must commemorate and honor the stars and notable figures that have fallen these past 12 months.

As the year comes to an end, society must commemorate and honor the stars and notable figures that have fallen these past 12 months. These humans have left a significant mark on those alive and have a legacy that will forever live on.

Betty White

The beloved actress passed on New Year’s Eve at the age of 99 from “natural causes.” White was a very successful American actress and comedian. White is notable for her roles in the entertainment industry that lasted more than 80 years. She was most recognizable for her work on The Golden Girls and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Virgil Abloh

The famous fashion designer passed away on November 28th at the age of 41 from cardiac angiosarcoma. In 2018 he made history when he became the first Black designer appointed as the men’s artistic director of Louis Vuitton. Abloh founded Louis Vuitton’s Off-White label and continuously shared his talents with the fashion industry. He is most known for his last decade with the rise of luxury streetwear.

Young Dolph 

The rapper was unexpectedly shot and killed on November 17th at the age of 36. Adolph Robert Thornton Jr., better known as Young Dolph, was an American rapper. He released his debut album in 2016 called the King of Memphis. Appearing on the Billboard 200 chart and Billboard Hot 100 twice in his short-lived career.

Prince Philip 

The Dule of Edinburgh passed away on April 9th at the age of 99 from “old age.” Prince Philip was a notable husband of Queen Elizabeth  II and was the consort of the British monarch until his death. He was the longest-serving royal consort in history.

Charlie Watts

The English musician passed away on August 24th at the age of 80 from “unknown causes.” Watts originally trained as a graphic artist, however, he developed an interest in jazz at a young age and joined the band Blues Incorporated. Watts became an internationally famous drummer that played for the Rolling Stones. Together the Rolling Stones broke records, traveled the world, and became one of the most famous bands known.

Willie Garson

The actor passed away on September 21st at the age of 57 from cancer. Throughout his remarkable career, Garson starred in many TV shows, including, NYPD Blue, White Collar, Twin Peaks, Monk, and Boy Meets World. He is most known for his role as Stanford Blatch, Carrie Bradshaw’s best friend, In HBO’s Sex and the City.

Larry King

Journalist and television host died on January 23rd at the age of 87 from sepsis. King was a radio host on The Larry King Show from 1978-1994. In 1985 he began hosting the television talk show Larry King Live on CNN. He was awarded two Peabodys, an Emmy, and ten Cable ACE Awards.

Cicely Tyson 

Hollywood icon died on January 28th at the age of 96 from undeclared causes. Her career spanned more than seven decades where she became known for her portrayal of strong African American women. Tyson received three  Primetime Emmy Awards, four Black Reel Awards, one Screen Actors Guild Award, one Tony Award, an honorary Academy Award, and a Peabody Award.

DMX

Rapper, composer, and actor died on April 9th at the age of 50 from a heart attack. DMX began rapping in the early 1990s and instantly became famous through his album It’s Dark and Hell Is Hot. He continued his career with many popular singles and best-selling albums that appeared on Billboard 200 charts.

Micheal Collins

US Apollo 11 astronaut passed away on April 28th at the age of 90 from cancer. Michael collins was a notable American astronaut who was the command module pilot of Apollo 11. He was also a test pilot and major general in the U.S. Air Force Reserves.