Verity is a romantic thriller that will leave you speechless

Photo Credit: Photo via Jackie Poznanski
Verity is a novel written by Colleen Hoover.

Verity is a novel written by Colleen Hoover about an amateur writer that receives a life-changing opportunity that takes a drastic turn. Verity is a twisted romantic thriller that will leave you speechless.

Hoover has penned 22 novels and novellas. Her novels Confess and It Ends With Us received the Goodreads Choice Award for Best Romance. Confess was recently made into an Amazon Prime series starring Katie Leclerc and Ryan Cooper.

According to Hoover’s website, she founded The Bookworm Box, a charity subscription service and bookstore. This service provides subscribers with monthly signed novels by authors. Hoover donates the all of the profits to a variety of charities.

Summary

The main character, Lowen Ashleigh, is a local writer that is on the verge of financial distress when she accepts the job offer of a lifetime. Jeremy Crawford, the husband of bestselling author Verity Crawford, hires Lowen. She must complete the remaining books in Verity’s series since she is suffering from injury.

Lowen immediately moves into the Crawford house to help accumulate the notes and outlines needed to finish the books. As she begins sorting through years of manuscripts she comes across an autobiography that Verity hoped to keep private. However, Lowen can’t help herself and decides to begin reading and immediately discovers Verity’s deepest secrets.

After reading, Lowen decides to keep the manuscript hidden from Jeremy, knowing the contest would devastate him. Although, as Lowen’s feelings grow for Jermey, she finds it hard to keep his wife’s secrets from him. Both Jeremey and Lowen face the ugly truth of Verity and have to make quick and rash decisions before it’s too late.

Review

Verity is one of those books that once you pick it up, you can’t put it down. Colleen is able to put the thoughts of Lowen into words well that the readers are able to follow along with her mind and conversation. It is interesting to read not only to see what happens next but how the authors react to situations. Colleen writes in a conversational way that makes it easy for readers to imagine what the story looks like.

The only negative aspect of this book is the ending. The ending will leave the reader to conclude what they think is true. While this is an effective writer’s choice, it is frustrating for the reader especially when the book is not a part of a sequel. Similarly, the book does consist of some plot holes that can either discourage a young reader or make them less intrigued.

Verity is a twisted romantic thriller that will leave you speechless and wanting more. One of the most important things to remember while reading this book is that it has extremely mature content. Therefore, this book is definitely only recommended to those 18 and older. Furthermore, sensitive topics may be triggering for some readers including death and abuse.