“tick…tick…BOOM!” left a bittersweet impact

Photo Credit: Photo via Netflix under Creative Commons license

“tick…tick…BOOM!” is released on November 12, 2021 in select theatres and Netflix. Most of the actors and actresses Lin-Manuel Miranda previously worked with have returned for this film.

By: JP Galope, Reporter

tick…tick…BOOM! chronicles the struggles of Jonathan Larson (Andrew Garfield, The Amazing Spider-Man) in New York City. He is trying to write his magnum opus for the whole world to see.

The key notes behind this musical

Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton, In the Heights) directed tick…tick…BOOM! alongside screenwriter Steven Levenson (Dear Evan Hansen). Brian Grazer and Ron Howard (How the Grinch Stole Christmas) are the producers of the film. Alice Brooks previously worked with Lin-Manuel Miranda for In the Heights. This movie is rated PG-13 for some strong language, suggestive material, and drug references.

The standing ovation for the cast

Everyone has praised Andrew Garfield for his outstanding performance. He’s not only amazing as an actor. He’s even more spectacular as a singer. Vanessa Hudgens (the High School Musical trilogy) goes back to her old musical roots in this film. Though she’s not in the entire mobvie, she’s able to shine in the spotlight with her acting and singing range. Alexandra Shipp (Love, Simon) gives a lot of emotion in her performance, especially during her only song in the film.

The bittersweet life of Jonathan Larson

Most people may think that this film is inspiring. Unfortunately, what lies beneath the happiness of success is a sad story of failure and heartbreak. Like La La Land, this film shows the reality of achieving dreams. The sacrifices that cost them to make it come true. In addition, Jon’s story is set during a time where HIV/AIDS caused hysteria. As Jonathan Larson rushes to get his musical out for the public, it unfortunately affects his relationships. The style of the film reminds me of another biographical musical, Rocketman. Similarly, they have a surrealistic feel that blends what’s real and what’s not. However, unlike Rocketmantick…tick...BOOM! leaves more of an impact than that film. Surprisingly, films like Soul reflects on how we live our lives. We shouldn’t let dreams become their main goals in life. We should let our pursuit of happiness become our necessity through our relationships.