Angels & Demons is still a hit among teens

Photo Credit: Miss Danielle SImkovich

In Dan Brown’s 2000 novel Angels & Demons, Robert Langdon along with Vittoria Vetra must try to save the Vatican from being destroyed by a mysterious group called the Illuminati. This narrative is basically a simulation of what would happen if the Pope was murdered.

Robert Langdon, the symbologist called to investigate the problem, was reluctant at first. He didn’t believe that the Illuminati truly existed. It wasn’t until he was faxed a picture of a dead scientist, Leonardo Vetra, an employee at NERF, a research company, that he realized how relevant the Illuminati were. Not only was the scientist murdered, but branded on the chest was the word Illuminati written as an ambigram. Furthermore, Langdon was informed that the scientist in particular was on the verge of creating a new substance called antimatter. Antimatter is a condensed form of masses of matter; it is a major part of the explanation of how the universe was created. To the dead Leonardo Vetra, it combined scientific concepts with religious beliefs.  He believed that by making the antimatter, he would be merging the two notions together bringing harmony. Unfortunately the substance was also destructive; it caused destruction if it remained far from a neutral environment for 24 hours. The owner who possessed the antimatter would also have power. Therefore, Robert concluded that the person who stole the antimatter didn’t want the unity of science and religion.

Therefore, Robert Langdon along with Vittoria Vetra, Mr. Vetra’s daughter, follows the trail to a recognizable area in Dan Brown’s books, Rome, more specifically the Vatican City. The Swiss Army notifies them that they have found out that the substance is within the City with the help of a camera that was planted next to it, and they have pinpointed the exact location of the bomb.  The head officer, Commander Olivetti, is belligerent to accept their involvement with the search. However with the death of the Pope a few weeks prior, the Papal election, and the upcoming announcement of the new Pope, the officer has no choice but to allow them to participate in the search. If the information on the antimatter is accurate, the Army must care for the wellbeing of the public who are crowded at the St. Peter Square to hear about the coronation, which heightens the stress that was already in place. At that point in the book, the antimatter is already counting down.

As ordered by Commander Olivetti, Mr. Langdon and Vittoria Vetra, search Rome, examining famous statues from well known artists like Rafael all the while picking up the clues to the next destination until they reach the end. As they search, the nominees for the position of Pope are getting killed one by one.  The only thought in Robert Langdon’s mind as he searches is if the crew will be able to find the culprit before time runs out.

The story is the first book of the Langdon Trilogy, which follows the symbologist’s quest to uncover the truths of the past. Like many of Mr. Brown’s book, it focuses on secret messages based within the past. What is especially interesting in this narrative is the use of ambigrams, the concept that each side of the word would be identical however it is flipped, kind of like a mirror reflection.  Angels & Demons is a compilation of information which has formed controversy throughout the years, but it’s a compelling book to read.