Riding their Broom (vacuum) across the moon the Sanderson sisters are always getting themselves into trouble.

Photo Credit: Photo Via IMDB under the Creative Commons License

It’s just a bunch of Hocus Pocus

Considered a Halloween classic Hocus Pocus is at the top of everyone’s favorite spooky movie list. Hocus Pocus is one of those timeless movies you can watch over and over again each year.

If you’re looking for a family-friendly Halloween movie with the perfect balance of fright and comedy, Hocus Pocus is the movie for you.

After three centuries, witches known as the Sanderson sisters are resurrected in Salem, Massachusetts on Halloween night. The fate of the town lies in the hands of two teenagers, a young girl, and an immortal cat to put an end to their reign of terror once and for all.

The film features the iconic trio of Bette Midler (Winifred Sanderson)Sarah Jessica Parker (Sarah Sanderson), and Kathy Najimy (Mary Sanderson), portraying the evil witches that terrorize the children of Saleem. The Protagonists include Max (Omri Katz), his sister Danni (Thora Birch), their friend Allison (Vinessa Shaw), and the black cat that protects the Sanderson home Thackery Binx (Sean Murray). 

First of all, the movie is one that you remember your entire life. It sticks with you in both childhood and adulthood. It is the perfect movie to watch with your kids while reminiscing all the great Halloweens of your childhood.

Nothing could match up to the charisma and charm of Midler, Parker & Najimy, their comedic timing is absolutely perfect. The movie is filled with one-liners that might just go over a kids head. But said one-liners make anyone over the age of 13 clutch their stomach in fits of laughter. There is a glimmer in its heartfelt tone and outrageous gags that give it it’s cult-like following. Especially during the Halloween season.

What truly makes the film are the two stunning musical numbers, Midler’s delightful “I Put a Spell on You” and Parker’s hypnotic “Come, Little Children.” The use of color and the sets are all magical, giving the movie a strange fairy-tale feel. This movie is funny, scary, but warm and human all at once.  It’s a fast-paced comedy that does not trivialize the characters.

The main messages expressed are your never to old to believe in the impossible, and good always conquers evil. Though not the most unique messages, the film does a great job of portraying their theme to a younger audience.

Personally, Hocus Pocus is my all time favorite Halloween movie. I remember the very first time I watched it when I was five years old. It brought me joy and kept me on the edge of my seat. I laughed, I cried, I was a Sanderson sister the next year for Halloween. From watching Hocus Pocus I received a new found love for the holiday known as Halloween. 

Hocus Pocus is the perfect movie for kids and adults who enjoy Halloween but aren’t fond of horror movies. Especially in the current generation of movies that revolve around the horror genre. But don’t be fooled, Hocus Pocus still has its fair share of underlying dark themes that keep the audience on edge.

Rating

Directed by Kenny Ortega, and written by David Kirschner and Mick Garris the film received a rating of  6.7 out of 10 stars on IMDB. On Rotton Tomatoes  70% of people liked the movie and said they would definitely watch it again. The Wrap.com sees Hocus Pocus as number one on its list of 13 Family-Friendly Halloween Movies.

On our Halloween movie rating scale, I would have to give Hocus Pocus a sweeter than sugar rating, meaning that you took the whole bowl of candy. It deserves to be at the top of everyone’s list. If your feeling in the Halloween spirit I recommend you go watch Hocus Pocus right now.

The Declaration • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in