Beetlejuice

Photo Credit: DeAndre Oglesby

Beetlejuice is the perfect family-friendly Halloween movie!

Beetlejuice is bone chillingly good

When you think of Halloween, you instantly think of horror classics such as Saw or A Nightmare on Elm’s Street. However, if you’re looking for something more family-friendly, Beetlejuice is the perfect movie for you!

This Halloween classic is about Adam Maitland (Alec Baldwin) and Barbara Maitland (Geena Davis) who recently died due to a car crash. The two soon discover that they’re ghosts. They also discover that the Deetz family is moving into their house. Not wanting them to move in, the deceased married couple tries to find a way to make them move out. However, when all else fails, the estranged “human exorcist” Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton) steps in to help. But in the end, he proves to be more trouble than he’s actually worth.

One of the best aspects of the film is how easy the plot is to follow. The Maitlands die, they want the Deetz family gone, Beetlejuice comes, he causes havoc, the Deetz and Maitlands defeat Beetlejuice, everyone lives happily ever after. It’s so simple that even a monkey can understand it. This is what makes people come back to movie time after time.

The strongest trait of the movie though is its characters and its comedy. The scene where Adam and Barb meet up with their caseworker Juno is especially hilarious. The dry wit and sarcasm that exudes from Sylvia Sidney’s Juno had me rolling on the floor.

Lydia Deetz is probably the most relatable character in the film. Every teenager can relate to her in one way or another. Whether it be having a not so favorable family, or being an outcast, we can all see a little of ourselves in her. And like Juno, her style of sarcastic humor is amazingly funny. Furthermore, the character dynamic of having the Maitlands be her parent figures is very heartwarming. If I saw the three of them on the streets somewhere, I’d believe they’re an actual family.

Casting Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice was the perfect decision. Without a doubt, it’s one of his most iconic roles. If Keaton wasn’t playing Beetlejuice, it wouldn’t be the same. The amount of energy he has and the plethora of jokes in his arsenal always make me die laughing. Although he technically is the antagonist, you can’t help but love him. Every time he shows up on screen with his iconic green hair and pinstripe suit, you know you’ll be in for a treat.

The movie isn’t without its faults though. The special effects in Beetlejuice aren’t that great. Back in 1988, they might’ve looked decent. But now, the effects just look cheesy and dated. Especially the scenes with the sandworm. The setting isn’t that interesting either. The majority of the movie takes place in the Maitland’s house. I mean sure locations change from now and again. However, a good 99% of the movie is in the house. And frankly, the house is pretty boring.

The soundtrack for Beetlejuice is decent at best. It’s good, but not Danny Elfman’s best work. The only two songs that stand out are the opening track and Jump in the Line. So in the end, it’s not like I’m going to go out of my way to listen to the soundtrack for Beetlejuice.

In the end, Beetlejuice is a pretty good family friendly movie for Halloween. I’d give it three pumpkins out of five. Rotton Tomatoes gives this film 82%, so go check it out. You can find it on Amazon for at least three dollars.

The Declaration • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in