What’s your milk’s favorite cookie?

Whats your milks favorite cookie?

Did you know that the U.S. leads the world as the biggest cookie bakers and eaters, spending more than $550 million annually on Oreos alone? Also did you know that cookies were first made in Persia, which is now Iran, in around 7 A.D according to www. eram.k12.ny.us.

Cookies are an international phenomenon. The top selling commercial cookies in the U.S. according to ww.eram.com is Nabisco Oreo, Nabisco Chips Ahoy, Nabisco Oreo Double Stuff, Pepperidge Farm Milano, Private Label Chocolate Chip, Little Debbie Nutty Bar, Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream, Nabisco Chips Ahoy Chewy, Nabisco Nilla Vanilla Wafers, and Private Label Sandwich Cookies.

Some people might agree that with the endless amount of cookies, it’s just so hard to choose from one.

Mikeala Westbrook she said, “There’s so many different kinds of cookies. When I go into the cookie aisle I get overwhelmed sometimes, but overall I have to say that my favorite kind of cookie are Oreos, I love thin and crispy cookies rather than soft and chewy, but don’t get me wrong, I don’t discriminate when it comes to eating cookies. With Oreos, I like the fact it’s an entire cookie sandwich, rather than just one plan cookie.”

After looking at the results on a survey taken at Colonia High majority of people preferred Oreos. After all it is milk’s favorite cookie. Coming in second place was Keebler cookies.

Tanitoluwa Popoola said, that she prefers soft and chewy cookies the best preferably warm too: “I love cookies, and I’m sure that I’ve always like my cookies that way ever since I could remember.”

The first commercial cookie in the U.S. was the Animal Cracker, which was introduced in 1902 according to www.bestevercookiecollection.com. The National Biscuit Company marketed and sold in a circus themed box to appeal to children and after a while they were officially called Barnum’s Animals. 

Another cookie fact, New Mexico in 1989, the state named their official state cookie “bizcochito.” This actually derived from the word “bizcocho” which translates in English to biscuit. This biscuit is a delicious shortbread cookie flavored with anise and topped with scrumptious cinnamon sugar.

Kristin Rivera said, “I know ever since I was younger my mom always gave me cookies and called them “galletas” (which translates to cookies from Spanish to English). It wasn’t until I grew older, about six and realized they were called cookies in English instead of galletas. Overall, my favorite cookie has always been Little Debbie’s Nutty Bar. I prefer to freeze them, before eating them.”

Another fun fact is that American cookie jars started from biscuit jars that derived from the British. They first appeared during the Depression in the 1930s, when housewives began making more cookies at home, rather than buying them. Therefore, they needed a place to store all of them, and then created the famous cookie jar.

When questioned, Zavior Rivera said, “I remember as a little kid always being told not to snoop in the cookie jar as every child was told not to do also. But like any other kid I stole from it, right before dinner always too. I mean I couldn’t help myself! My mom made the most delicious cookies growing up (and still does).”

Sorry to disappoint, but there was never actually a real Betty Crocker. She was actually created in 1921 by the Washburn-Crosby Company in Minneapolis which is a predecessor of General Mills, according to www.bestercookiecollection.com. “Betty Crocker is now considered to be the great melting pot of Modern American Womanhood, which is not too bad for a woman who never existed!”

The famous Girl Scout Cookie first began selling their delicious cookies in the 1920s. The Girl Scout Cookies were also first documented council-wide was in Philadelphia in 1934. Not surprisingly the most popular Girl Scout Cookie is Thin Mints, which accounts for twenty five percent of the sales.

On www.epicurious.com it states that the world’s biggest chocolate chip cookie weighted a total of 40,000 pounds had a diameter of 101 feet. It was made by The Immaculate Baking Company in Flat Rock, North Carolina.

Can you believe that chocolate chip cookies were first called “Butterdrop Do Cookies”? In 1936, Wakefield’s recipe first ran in a Boston newspaper, and published her first cookbook. She then renamed them “Chocolate Crunch Cookies.”

No matter which cookie you prefer, cookies are a part of the American tradition. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles.