Carrie The Musical: truly a night you will never forget

Photo Credit: The Declaration Staff
After years of being bullied, Carrie snaps when the school bully pours blood on her at the prom. As a result she burns the gym to the ground.

The Colonia High cast and crew executed a musical adaptation of the renowned play Carrie. The show ran from March 26th to March 29th, experiencing a record number of ticket sales and audience’s applause.  

The play opened with spot-light focused on the interrogation of Sue Snell, played by Senior Chelsea Chesney, heroine of the story. Sue Snell told the tragic story of Carrie White, played by Kelly Hedden. Carrie White is a high school misfit, ostracized by the school and mercilessly bullied by the popular crowd. Even when she is at home, Carrie cannot evade the pressures from her hyper-religious and over-protective mother, Margret White, played by Emma McAndrew.

McAndrew not only transformed herself into character mentally, but the play’s hair and makeup committee were able to physically transform McAndrew into a woman decades older than herself. McAndrew presented her character so professionally; she did not seem like a high school student.

In addition to wise makeup and hair decisions, the costume committee did an excellent job at dressing characters in appropriate wear for the setting of the play. Carrie’s prom dress, altered by Miss Danielle Simkovich, was a “trick dress” that allowed Hedden to change directly on stage.

Hedden has been a part of every spring musical during her four years at CHS. As the lead of the play, Hedden was under severe pressure to deliver a good show. However, the adjective “good” cannot accurately describe Colonia’s production of Carrie; it was phenomenal. Hedden sang with such passion that her vocals managed to give members of the audience chills. Her acting was so believable that you simply could not help but to sympathize with Carrie’s situation.

In contrast, the actual lyrics of the songs were sub-par. While the songs were capable of conveying the messages they were written for, the lyrics were often redundant and seemingly unnecessary. The band, however, was able to offset the redundancy of songs with their expertise in harmonizing with the actors. Like the actors, the band was stationed on the stage, which was distracting at first but as the play continued, became hardly noticeable.

Sue Snell’s best friend and the most popular girl in school Chris Hargensen, played by Tiffanie Arokiaswamy, was the main antagonist plotting against Carrie White. Arokiaswamy presented her character flawlessly as a self-centered, vengeful, and malicious bully. Her entire performance was great; however, Arokiaswamy’s dancing stole the show. Joshua Pineda, senior, who played the part of Billy Nolan, complemented Arokiaswamy’s fluid and suggestive dance moves.

While Arokiaswamy’s and Pineda’s dancing was stellar, other actors seemed to be struggling with timing and grace in their movements. Since the mood of the show was eerie, the uncooperative dancing at times worked for the show.

In regards to acting, Wilmond Vano, Tommy Ross, and Julia Paradizova, Miss Gardner, exceeded most other characters in their compassion towards Carrie. Vano has been an active member of the CHS theatre. Paradizova is only a sophomore at CHS, but she— along with the other underclassmen— show a promising future for CHS productions to come.

While ticket prices of $15 were steep for a traditional high school play, the CHS production of Carrie was an exception and was truly worth every penny.

View Comments (1)