Wheelchair Accessibility at Colonia High

Photo Credit: Photo via: Michelle Remite and Brianna Kelly
CHS students, Alim Memon, Stephanie Rodriguez, and Khalil Taliaferro share how they really feel about Colonia High

According to dosomething.org, students with physical disabilities who use a wheelchair have lower rates of participation in after school activities, leading to decreased socialization and leadership development; however this is not as much of a problem here at CHS. Physically disabled students Alim Memon (junior), Stephanie Rodriguez (junior), and Khalil Taliaferro (senior) were interviewed in an effort to learn exactly how accommodating Colonia High School really is.

Memon, member of Colonia High School’s Swimming Patriots, believes that this school is very accommodating. Memon has recently received a brand new sports wheelchair from CHS’s Interact Club’s Make a Wish Fund. When asked if he felt fully able to participate in extra-curricular activities, he responded with “Yes, most definitely.” Memon stated that that are no changes needed to be made at CHS, “It’s perfect because of the family culture we have here… this school is very sympathetic, they feel you.” He seemed especially excited when he mentioned that he would be trying to participate in the Special Olympics. Everyone here at CHS is eager to see what is in store for Alim Memon in the future.

Mrs. Allen

Rodriguez agreed with Memon, and said that CHS has been extremely accommodating, especially to her needs. During classes, she feels as though she is fully able to participate, but there are times when it becomes challenging. However, when in these times Rodriguez adds that her teachers are always able to help with her situation. Outside of school, she says that most public places meet her needs,  but there have been times when Rodriguez can’t go to a specific place because they have stairs or her needs can’t be met. The interview ended with Rodriguez stating that she doesn’t have any ideas off the top of her head for changes to be made at CHS to benefit those who are physically disabled. However, more bathrooms that are wheel-chair accessible are much needed in order to accommodate every students’ needs.

Conversely, senior Taliaferro had a couple of ideas in mind to make Colonia High even better. Taliaferro thinks we should consider getting another elevator in the school, since CHS only has one elevator in one wing, and some of his classes are on the other side of the building, making the trip to class longer for Taliaferro.

Taliaferro also believes making a football league for those who are physically disabled would be big for CHS. “I would like to start a football league in a way. I feel like we can do football. They only have swimming here at the moment,” he mentioned. When asked if he felt any exclusions during school he answered, “A little bit. During gym, students won’t pick me or something like that, but it’s perfectly natural.”

Mayor John McCormac was also interviewed on what improvements have been made throughout Woodbridge Township for those with physical disabilities. As of February 2016, there are no projects specifically being done for those with physical disabilities throughout our Township. However, handicapped parking spots were added this past summer to the rear parking lot. Mayor McCormac had also mentioned that there were special basketball leagues, baseball leagues, and now even hockey leagues for those who have multiple disabilities.

However, wheelchair basketball leagues for high school students are hard to come by in central New Jersey.

“We have kids there who literally have trouble walking. They come in, and six months later they’re skating. It’s remarkable, absolutely remarkable the progress these kids are making. It’s only a matter of giving them an opportunity,” said McCormac about the Special League Hockey at the Woodbridge Community Center.

Overall, Mayor John McCormac ended with one final statement, “Woodbridge is the best town to be in if you’re a special needs kid.”